24" chainsaw , and alaskan mill.(price drop)

mel b3

Hiya guys.

I'm steadily working my way through my huge collection of things that I don't use.

52cc chainsaw , with a 24 inch bar . It's in very good condition,  and I think It's about two years old .   it's only had about four tanks of fuel through it( and one of those was to run it in) . I bought it to mill oak logs , but it soon became clear that its not really up to milling oak , but it was more than adequate when milling pine . In all honesty , I only used a standard chain , so would probably be much better with a milling chain.  

It comes with an alaskan sawmill, that I've used once with the saw . The mill has been outside , so it's got bits of rust on the exposed metal parts , but all works as it should . It also comes with a plug spanner , chain file etc.

It's collection only , so if anyone is interested,  you're more than welcome to come and test it all out. I'll also make sure that the chain is freshly sharpened.

£140.00 ovno.

Price drop £130.00 ovno.

20220313_163724.jpg

20220313_163801.jpg

20220313_163806.jpg

20220313_163900.jpg

20220313_164314.jpg

20220313_164308.jpg

Edited by mel b3

I made one of those mills and cut a lot of timber when I was thing our poplars. Built a couple of cabins in the wood using the slab timber.  You just need a chain for cutting with the grain to make a nice job. I used a newly sharpened standard chain and it still worked ok,  If you have access to reasonably straight timber they work ok.

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I see you're making room in your shed for the first Ukrainian family then?  :good:

I have a huge collection of stuff that I don't use , and I'm slowly thinning the collection out . One of my next projects will be a petrol driven ,  portable , bandsaw.

5 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I made one of those mills and cut a lot of timber when I was thing our poplars. Built a couple of cabins in the wood using the slab timber.  You just need a chain for cutting with the grain to make a nice job. I used a newly sharpened standard chain and it still worked ok,  If you have access to reasonably straight timber they work ok.

I tried it on pine , and even with the standard chain , it was great , but when I tried it on oak , it soon became clear that I needed a completely different tool . If I had plenty of pine to slab then I'd keep it , but I have a few hundred tons of oak that needs milling , so one of my next projects will be a petrol driven bandsaw.

17 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

I have a huge collection of stuff that I don't use , and I'm slowly thinning the collection out . One of my next projects will be a petrol driven ,  portable , bandsaw.

Mel I think most of us have far too much "stuff"

38 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

I tried it on pine , and even with the standard chain , it was great , but when I tried it on oak , it soon became clear that I needed a completely different tool . If I had plenty of pine to slab then I'd keep it , but I have a few hundred tons of oak that needs milling , so one of my next projects will be a petrol driven bandsaw.

for heaven’s sake 🙄

It’s only oak 

A sharp piece of string with a few knots in it have it planked up in no time 😂😂

39 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Mel I think most of us have far too much "stuff"

It's definitely a bloke thing . I've taken it to expert level 😁.

17 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

for heaven’s sake 🙄

It’s only oak 

A sharp piece of string with a few knots in it have it planked up in no time 😂😂

Funnily enough , I mistakenly thought that their can't really be that much difference between pine and oak . I soon got skooled 😁.

7 hours ago, mel b3 said:

Yes, as I say for hard timber you need a proper chain and well sharp.   chain saws where not designed for going down the grain.

25 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Yes, as I say for hard timber you need a proper chain and well sharp.   chain saws where not designed for going down the grain.

To be honest nev , I plank a bit of stuff , but I do it freehand . The only problem is that it's never easy being accurate , especially over longer lengths . Hopefully I'll get to build a bandsaw one day.