Two Stage Trigger

wymberley

I'm having trouble. After 30+ years of shooting two stage triggers at the lower end of the 'pull' scale, I now find that I need to increase the loading on safety and accuracy grounds. Although two stage is not essential, I have preferred it to the previous 35+ years of single stage and it's beginning to look as though I might  have to revert back to where I started. Question, as I haven't a clue, to have a 1200g 'pull', would the 1st stage of 1000g then upped by 200g for the 2nd giving the 1200g total be considered normal? My problem is is that I can't consistently control the 200g. I'm guessing now and I can't seem to find any published figures, but I have just tried a new HW66 which I reckon has about a200g 1st and 600g total pull and the 400g difference is workable. 

I started with set triggers long ago because they were the norm on German rifles. Then these went out of fashion and two staged triggers were advocated over here. I hate these because you really need to ‘feel’ for the second stage. I consider them a safety hazard. I have only used  single triggers from Timney and others sinc them and I am totally satisfied with these. For high seat hunting and stalking I set them at 650 gr. and 1500 gr. for driven wild boar hunting. In my view the index finger has no business within the trigger guard until the exact moment you intend to pull the trigger. So no extra handling such as setting the trigger or finding a second stage.  I took me some time to get used to squeezing instead of pulling but for me there is no way back to two stage or set triggers.

Edited by reindeer

4 hours ago, reindeer said:

Then these went out of fashion and two staged triggers were advocated over here.

Advocated, but they were never mandatory?

I always ask the same wildly off-topic question whenever a Germany-based member posts on here....Which State are you in, and how did you find doing the Jagdschein?

1 hour ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Advocated, but they were never mandatory?

I always ask the same wildly off-topic question whenever a Germany-based member posts on here....Which State are you in, and how did you find doing the Jagdschein?

Was North Rhine-Westphalia. Easy, they just give them away - mind you, assuming UK shooters survive the 'non lead' debacle, they're probably going to find out sooner or later.

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

Was North Rhine-Westphalia. Easy, they just give them away - mind you, assuming UK shooters survive the 'non lead' debacle, they're probably going to find out sooner or later.

Probably much sooner than later!
We don’t envy you over here!

6 hours ago, reindeer said:

I started with set triggers long ago because they were the norm on German rifles. Then these went out of fashion and two staged triggers were advocated over here. I hate these because you really need to ‘feel’ for the second stage. I consider them a safety hazard. I have only used  single triggers from Timney and others sinc them and I am totally satisfied with these. For high seat hunting and stalking I set them at 650 gr. and 1500 gr. for driven wild boar hunting. In my view the index finger has no business within the trigger guard until the exact moment you intend to pull the trigger. So no extra handling such as setting the trigger or finding a second stage.  I took me some time to get used to squeezing instead of pulling but for me there is no way back to two stage or set triggers.

Ever shot rat, rabbit or rook, etc, etc? Tricky little devils, always move that little bit just enough for you to miss just as you're squeezing, handy to be able to hold the 1st for a couple of seconds 'til they settle down.

7 minutes ago, reindeer said:

Probably much sooner than later!
We don’t envy you over here!

I've been saying this now for some 40 years, but somehow we've avoided it. However, I'm still of that opinion and agree even though we've finally exited Europe and one would expect the possibility to decrease.

On 20/05/2022 at 10:51, wymberley said:

Question, as I haven't a clue, to have a 1200g 'pull', would the 1st stage of 1000g then upped by 200g for the 2nd giving the 1200g total be considered normal? My problem is is that I can't consistently control the 200g.

Anybody?

13 hours ago, London Best said:

I’m with you on this one.....Dunno.

Going to be interesting. The light version adjustment range is 250 - 450g. I couldn't quite control it some c5% of the time. The heavy at 400 to 1200g should have been no problem, but the figures don't seem right and are what I got. The rifle is back with the 'smith who is talking to the importer who in turn is talking to Anschutz.

19 hours ago, London Best said:

I’m with you on this one.....Dunno.

Imagine having to overcome 1000g of force before you feel a resistance that only takes 200g to pass.  How many times do you think you would just pull through and fire an early shot?

1 hour ago, reindeer said:

Imagine having to overcome 1000g of force before you feel a resistance that only takes 200g to pass.  How many times do you think you would just pull through and fire an early shot?

Don't know, but you can bet your bottom dollar that sooner or later it would be once too often. Turns out that my 600g guesstimate for the Weihrauch (which is workable) was spot on.