David Paul Gag

10 hours ago, Fellside said:

I personally find that longer birds beyond about 40 yards need a size 6 pellet. 

40+ yards is beyond me now but I would have a go back in the day. First essential is to make sure that you have sufficient pattern - a central 20" pellet count of 110 minimum - and a predicted energy level of 1 ftlb minimum. Barring a huge load weight, then 6&1/2 shot will give you a pattern failure just prior to energy loss out to 45 yards +.

We're talking stretching here and agree with all that is said about usual decoying ranges.

When youngsters/beginners were taught to shoot properly after the safety aspects the first thing you were taught was that the effective range of a shotgun was “about 40 yards” and anything over that was stretching.

edit: this range is, of course, impossible to estimate accurately to a bird in the air for anybody, hence the “about”.

Edited by London Best

16 minutes ago, London Best said:

When youngsters/beginners were taught to shoot properly after the safety aspects the first thing you were taught was that the effective range of a shotgun was “about 40 yards” and anything over that was stretching.

edit: this range is, of course, impossible to estimate accurately to a bird in the air for anybody, hence the “about”.

Later of course, in the second half of the 20th century, this was amended and any distance, even approximate,  was omitted.

Yes agree - 40 yards is a long way. I get feasible patterns out to 50 yards with well selected/tested chokes and cart’s, but 40 to 45 yards is a reasonable normal limit.

If I pattern at 60 yards however, it’s almost as though the pattern board has been missed - virtually nothing on it. 

15 hours ago, Krico woodcock said:

A Italian no . 7 1/2  will kill consistently  40 yard pigeons,  and  definitely knock them beyond 40 yards, but may not be killed.  But you can Also just break the wings of a pigeon with a  no.6 or 5 at 20 yards. But if your decoyin pigeons  and all shots are 40 yards +,  then  your not doing your job right, as most pigeons I would say decoyin are shot within 35 yards, and closer. Obviously roost shooting in winter especially in strong winds is a different matter. It's all with what your happy with and have confidence in. But my go to  cartridge for decoyin pigeons would be hard hitting 7 1/2 ( English 7)every time. 

When I’m ‘doing my job right’ as you say I will often use Italian 7 1/2 (2.4mm) on the average decoyed birds. They work - no doubt about it. However, even when the birds are decoying well, there will always be the odd long crosser or a second further bird of a pair. I tend to use number 6 cart’ in the second more choked barrel for these. It’s just what I find works for me. It’s probably also become a confidence factor if you know what I mean. It’s all good - whatever one’s ‘magic formula’ might be. 

On 22/07/2022 at 14:49, Walker570 said:

I have only once in plus 60 years of shooting winged game/vermin come across a cartridge which was not up to the job.  Countrywide Stores when it was in business had some of their own loads 1 1/8th #6 and they where truly pathetic and I wrote and told them so. That was back in the arly 70s.  It really does make me laugh out loud when I see different boxes labelled soecifically for pigeon. Tell me how different is killing a pigeon to a partridge, pheasant, grouse, woodcock at sensible ranges ?

Not just me then! But only 50 years in my case. I think it's down to there being 3 sorts of cartridges readily available when I was a youth: the gun shop's own brand (worked very well on pretty much everything), Grand Prix (expensive) and Impax (also expensive and seemed identical to Grand Prix to my youthful self).