Arrangements for gun custody in case of death?

Cossington

Hi,

I am not sure if this is the ruight section, but would welcome your views and thoughts.

I have a SGC and a few shotguns in my cabinet. I live with my wife who does not have an SGC.

I have been wondering what steps to take for the immediate custody of my guns, in the case of my unexpected death. If I die unexpectedly, the guns presumably need to be moved out of the house, as there would then be no-one at our home with an SGC.

Who would be able to access them (ie who knows the key location)?

Where would the guns go - a friend's cabinet, perhaps or a local RFD?

Do you have a plan, (perhaps a written plan for other mambers of your family to locate quickly upon death) or an understanding with a shooting friend or neighbour who would be able to access the guns (how to locate the keys?).

There are a number of elements to this question and I would welcome advice on potential steps to put a plan (to deal with the guns) in place in the event of an unexpected death. At this stage I am not particularly concerned with realising the value of the guns, just adhering to the law and ease of dealing at what would be a very difficult time.

Thank you in advance,

David

I have a paper notice pasted to the outside of my gun cabinet with clear instructions! It starts "In the event of my death these guns are NOT to be surrendered to the police but a Form 7 Certificate to be requested so that they may be disposed of or contact should be made with Messrs. Holt's Auctioneers telephone 01230 456789 for the contents to be collected and sold at auction."

I also have covered this in my will. What I strongly urge against are these internet advertised vultures services that charge a facility fee plus mileage plus storage and etc. to in effect sell your guns at auction anyway! You are best to cut out these middlemen and directly approach a reputable auction house. A search on the website "the saleroom dot com" using the word "shotgun" will reveal good provincial auctioneers who have also large sales of guns, arms, armour. 

Edited by enfieldspares

A friend of mine died suddenly. The paramedics are obliged to inform the police of a sudden death. His name flagged up ‘shotgun owner’. The duty officer obviously panicked and sent two policemen to collect the guns before the undertaker had removed the body! 
The licensing manager did apologise (profusely) and the guns were returned to SGC holding relatives in short order.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

A friend of mine died suddenly. The paramedics are obliged to inform the police of a sudden death. His name flagged up ‘shotgun owner’. The duty officer obviously panicked and sent two policemen to collect the guns before the undertaker had removed the body! 
The licensing manager did apologise (profusely) and the guns were returned to SGC holding relatives in short order.

Someone i know had the job of clearing out the home of a recently deceased relative and he came across an old SXS shotgun. He phoned the police to inform them and they instantly went into panic mode saying dont touch the gun incase its loaded. He had already explained to them he's a FAC/SGC holder and has a sizeable collection himself but they still sent an ARV with blue lights & siren. He took delight in informing the officers that he'd already checked the gun for cartridges (it wasnt) and they wasnt happy.

He told me this a week after and i just said you should have taken it to nearest RFD or gun shop where they could put the shotgun on your own certificate if you wanted it.

Compare this to my dealing with TVP a few years ago.

My uncle sadly passed away after a battle with cancer. I was asked by my aunt to take custody of his shotguns. Phoned my FEO and checked with her on the procedure.

She just checked if I had cabinet space asked me to E-Mail her the serial numbers/ types to confirm his records were up to date and she put them on to my certificate straight away on the system. My aunt then posted his SGC back to TVP with a copy of his death certificate so they could close his ticket on the system. This allowed me to sell both guns off (one being a rather nice and well cared for Beretta)  and return the money to my aunt with no panic or issues involved.

Thank you for your various replies.

My main concern was not about losing any value of the guns, but not putting my wife in a posiition of finding herself in possession of shotguns she wasn't 'certified' for and how she should resolve the issue as easily as possible. The guidance and comments have helped me formulate a strategy (to include form 7 application, which I was unaware of).

I appreciate your time and input.

David