Electrician advice please

Dave-G

My son has a new build (up north - not actually been there myself). He's visiting us this weekend so will be able to view any replies.

He has an independently fused external wired junction box outside his patio door to the garden. He's making a garden room to the side of his of his house. Can he use that feed to power the garden room by feeding his cable from the external junction box down the wall, under the patio and up the wall at the side into his garden room. And does he need it to be examined/passed etc? 

Edited by Dave-G

You should only have one socket running off a fused spur, unless you mean a ring running from a fuse from the main fuse box. 

Depending how much electrical items he’s planning on using it would be best to have a separate ring run to the room ideally via armoured cable(incase someone gets excited with a spade). 
For the sake of safety get a spark in to quote. 

32 minutes ago, Hicky said:

You should only have one socket running off a fused spur, unless you mean a ring running from a fuse from the main fuse box. 

Depending how much electrical items he’s planning on using it would be best to have a separate ring run to the room ideally via armoured cable(incase someone gets excited with a spade). 
For the sake of safety get a spark in to quote. 

Sorry, should have been more specific, its an independent/dedicated feed from the fuse box/consumer unit, I don't think its a ring.

Edited by Dave-G

3 hours ago, Dave-G said:

Sorry, should have been more specific, its an independent/dedicated feed from the fuse box/consumer unit, I don't think its a ring.

If that’s the case it isn’t hard to do, you just need the schematics(to make it easier for a layman)to follow.

I’d urge anyone who isn’t competent/confident to still get a spark in to sign it off/inspect it. Should run cheaper but I’d argue most tradesman will be on the lookout for jobs now people are cutting back so it’s still worth a quote for piece of mind, especially if any nippers are about.

When I did my Part P it was stated that kitchens, bathrooms and anywhere outside were special locations and all work needed to be tested.

This could have changed. 

If its a stand alone circuit to the junction box depending on cable size and fuse rating it should be OK.

My question is why is a junction box wired up? A socket yes, but just a jb?

7 minutes ago, Hicky said:

If that’s the case it isn’t hard to do, you just need the schematics(to make it easier for a layman)to follow.

I’d urge anyone who isn’t competent/confident to still get a spark in to sign it off/inspect it. Should run cheaper but I’d argue most tradesman will be on the lookout for jobs now people are cutting back so it’s still worth a quote for piece of mind, especially if any nippers are about.

Its the building reg's legality/inspection/passed issue that we're concerned about.

5 minutes ago, manthing said:

When I did my Part P it was stated that kitchens, bathrooms and anywhere outside were special locations and all work needed to be tested.

This could have changed. 

If its a stand alone circuit to the junction box depending on cable size and fuse rating it should be OK.

My question is why is a junction box wired up? A socket yes, but just a jb?

It's apparently just a termination in a weatherproof JB, likely intended to facilitate a wall light.

Edited by Dave-G

2 hours ago, Dave-G said:

Good point - it'll be good to get a vernier gauge on the conductors - and to check the fuse rating too. 

Check the fuse, lights will probably be a 6 amp MCB.

For a garden room you're looking for a 20 amp supply really, lights plus power. Depends what he's using it for, how big it is.

You really need an electrician to look at it.

On 24/09/2022 at 14:25, Hicky said:

Thats not how it works Hicky , we don't in general sign off someone else's  DIY cack.

Edited by Remimax