Pigeons on Mustard

51/50

Will pigeons feed on mustard crops at all?,i'm assuming they will?,it's not a crop i'm familiar with & one of the farms i shoot on has just direct drilled mustard into barley stubble,i'm familiar with kale & stubble turnips that are direct drilled into barley stubble & they most certainly feed on them.

Edited by 51/50

1 hour ago, 51/50 said:

Will pigeons feed on mustard crops at all?,i'm assuming they will?,it's not a crop i'm familiar with & one of the farms i shoot on has just direct drilled mustard into barley stubble,i'm familiar with kale & stubble turnips that are direct drilled into barley stubble & they most certainly feed on that.

think you will find the mustard that has been drilled is a soil improver and will be ploughed in as soon as it has gained a reasonable growth.........i have never shot over that type of mustard......but it will hold pheasants ..

I'm not sure if it's been planted as a soil improver or for sheep food,i'll need to enquire,the kale & stubble neeps on the same farm are always grown as sheep food & i know he has drilled kale in the field next to the mustard,the neeps are in the field on the opposite side but they got hammered yet again by flea beetle.

• 4 weeks later...

Mustard is grown in our area as a soil improver, usually direct drilled into Barley stubble around mid August.

It's great for holding Pheasants and can easily grow 5 - 6 feet tall.

It's usually cut in mid December, that's when the Pigeons go for it, but it's often ploughed in more or less straightaway, so you'll need to be quick off the mark.!

Cat.😎