my first rabbit

Tell me to shut up, but taking a bunny that small, isn't that a bit mean?

Or am i being a bit daft asking that, and now i'm about to get a slating :lol:

I agree, although it is a pest you wouldn't shoot a pigeon chick that was a 1/4 grown.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Rubbish!

If they are a serious pest, best get them early before they are allowed to do any serious damage.

Once a rabbit appears above ground, it is fully capable of looking after itself, unlike a pigeon chick.

totaly agree with HG a rabbit is a rabbit the more you take out the less of the damage they cause. I say good on ya mate

I accept that rabbit is rabbit, whatever the size. However when ever possible I like to eat what I shoot, or give it away. No point in wasting good food.

Yes young rabbits do eat crops, but many fall prey to reptors etc. I find that it is best to shoot rabbits in September, by this time, many of the young are 3/4 grown and excellent for the pot. Ive no problem with the young lad eating his first rabbit, albeit on the small side I have no doubt that it will be an event to remember; but hopefully the youngster will have learned that small rabbits are probably more trouble than full grown, and not really worth the effort.

If the farmer insists that you virtually exterminate his rabbit problem, then so be it; otherwise, let the youngsters mature, and provide a more testing, better tasting shot.

A hill farmer in Scotland on whos farm I shoot rabbits, once told me that 10 rabbits equalled 1 sheep. How true this is or on what evidence it is based I dont know, but he is always keen that we kill any rabbit, regardless of size. We only go once a year as it is over 700 miles round trip, but we have noticed that the rabbits have decreased over the years. the farmer assures us that no one else is shooting them, and I am inclined to believe him. I can only assume that by carrying out his wishes to the letter that we are slowly shooting ourselves in the foot.

webber

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...