Decking replacement

harrycatcat1

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Good effort. What is the balustrade like for lateral restraint? Can you lean your full weight against it without noticeable deflection? 

It's funny you should say this as only this morning I said to my Mrs the length between the wall and the steps is not "solid" the other two lengths are better because they are at 90° to each other. They advised 10mm screws which I used but there are only 3 in each post but I did strengthen under the decking with 4" x 3" so the screw gois through the decking and into the 4" x 3".

I would say that the previous wooden balustrade was more substantial, this stainless and glass is more decorative to be honest. Saying that the top handrail has not been fitted yet but I doubt that it would help stop  the forward backward movement.

Screenshot_20230102_161722_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230102_161737_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230102_161755_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230102_161812_Gallery.jpg

1 hour ago, harrycatcat1 said:

This is the one "walkedup"  furthest away in the picture 

Screenshot_20230102_173935_Gallery.jpg

Yes, it is hard to get the stiffness required though fixing into timber. No matter how well fixed it relies upon clamping the wood and any tiny compression of the small base gets magnified at +1100mm. Newer posts are traditionally fixed through the floor rather onto it, and staircase balustrades generally have better geometric stability due to all the 90° bends etc. Longer, bigger screws won’t help. If it feels just about ok then you can probably live with it, if the steel handrail is one long rigid piece it will transfer the lateral load onto more fixing points and so should feel more rigid. Good luck 👍

6 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Yes, it is hard to get the stiffness required though fixing into timber. No matter how well fixed it relies upon clamping the wood and any tiny compression of the small base gets magnified at +1100mm. Newer posts are traditionally fixed through the floor rather onto it, and staircase balustrades generally have better geometric stability due to all the 90° bends etc. Longer, bigger screws won’t help. If it feels just about ok then you can probably live with it, if the steel handrail is one long rigid piece it will transfer the lateral load onto more fixing points and so should feel more rigid. Good luck 👍

The old wooden posts were at least 18" below the level of the decking  with 3 x 7" screws and the bottom rail had stacks of screws in so very stable. It was the decking that was bad.

42 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

I shall have a look into that but they don't give you too much but I will certainly give it a coat of looking over 😉  thanks.

eBay do short lengths of stainless tube in a range of diameters, if you haven't enough.

2 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

I shall have a look into that but they don't give you too much but I will certainly give it a coat of looking over 😉  thanks.

Do the supplier/merchant you got this from not have suitable wall-to-post brackets or even diagonal braces to suit your needs ? Like a comment above,,,, once the handrail is fixed it'll be more rigid.

Hand rail in position but not fixed/drilled/tapped yet. Just seeing how it looks first. In the picture at the top of the steps the right hand part of the hand rail "overhang" on the last picture is a fraction more than the left hand side. Probably not too noticeable but I know. Going to get a stainless steel cutting disk for the angle grinder to cut some off.

Screenshot_20230105_212503_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230105_212510_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230105_212519_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230105_212553_Gallery.jpg