Weight, stringetc ?

getthegat

So I'm a bit of a Franchi fan, a throw back to my late Uncle George. I have an Affinity 12 gauge semi auto and a Falconet 12 bore, over under, both I really like and get on well with. I also have a 20 bore semi auto which is a lovely gun, mounts nice for me and I feel, fits quite good. However, I struggle to get consistent hits with it. It is very light, under 6lb and I wonder if this may be an issue. Could it be the cartridge pattern/string, meaning I need to be more accurate and with my eyes not quite as good these days......I use 28 or 30grm 6s or 7.5s, the same as I use in my 12 bores. As an example, on Friday I bunked off work for a couple of hours and had a go at some corvids and pigeons on some newly drilled wheat, 29 shots later I had 7 birds on the floor! I know my head was a bit all over the place what with stresses from a house sale/purchase, money issues etc etc, but those cartridge to hits rates are pretty pathetic, with the other guns a poor day is 50%. Thinking of selling it, but guns aren't selling well in the current climate and to be honest I would like to use it more, I have had some good long kills with it, but it's not good for my job as crop protection and is expensive with the poor ratio.

After reading some other different posts, I get the feeling that gun alterations, add-ons and having ones gun "fitted" are much more common than I thought. How much does it cost on average to have a gun "fitted" Can one do things other than pattern testing to find if a gun is wrong or right for you?

I have an old folding Investarm o/u 20g, it patterns exactly to point of aim, fixed choke, probably 1/2 and 3/4.

Used to use 28g loads but for ages have changed to 25g loads, either no 6 or 7 1/2, and would not go back.

My method of shooting is to aim at target then pull away in front, obviously for crossing birds. Or if static target use it like a rifle.

11 hours ago, getthegat said:

OK, interesting view. Never tried 25grm shell's. What size #shot do you use?

i use fiocchi 25 g fw 6,an reloaded 24g 6 1/2 i get just the same amount of kills as i do useing 12g,which hasnt seen use in a long while 20g only for me now.

12 hours ago, getthegat said:

Would have to say no to that question 

Quite possibly. It comes up nice, doesn't feel wrong, but obviously an expert may not agree

The most effective way to discover if you are looking where your barrels are actually pointing, is to mount your gun in front of a mirror, with your eyes closed. 
Once the gun is mounted open your right eye ( left if left handed ) and what you should see in the mirror, is the muzzles with your eye sat just above them. 
If not, then there’s your problem. 

13 hours ago, getthegat said:

So I'm a bit of a Franchi fan, a throw back to my late Uncle George. I have an Affinity 12 gauge semi auto and a Falconet 12 bore, over under, both I really like and get on well with. I also have a 20 bore semi auto which is a lovely gun, mounts nice for me and I feel, fits quite good. However, I struggle to get consistent hits with it. It is very light, under 6lb and I wonder if this may be an issue. Could it be the cartridge pattern/string, meaning I need to be more accurate and with my eyes not quite as good these days......I use 28 or 30grm 6s or 7.5s, the same as I use in my 12 bores. As an example, on Friday I bunked off work for a couple of hours and had a go at some corvids and pigeons on some newly drilled wheat, 29 shots later I had 7 birds on the floor! I know my head was a bit all over the place what with stresses from a house sale/purchase, money issues etc etc, but those cartridge to hits rates are pretty pathetic, with the other guns a poor day is 50%. Thinking of selling it, but guns aren't selling well in the current climate and to be honest I would like to use it more, I have had some good long kills with it, but it's not good for my job as crop protection and is expensive with the poor ratio.

A few thoughts . 

1. If you are stressed then you can be subconsciously distracted - Shooters often experience mental or phycological problems that are self reacting ,ie, if you believe you are not shooting well it affects your shooting so you dont shoot well 

2. Inconsistency is often down to gun control and mount -Suggest a quick consultation with a gun fitter /instructor . It could be that with a light weight gun you are simply not gripping and holding tight enough .This is a common fault with the gun moving off mount  as you swing so its not pointing where you are looking . A good example of this is]if right handed ] you hit all crossers that come left to right  , but miss right to left crossers . 

3. Cartridge /gun/shooter compatibility -It may well be that one cartridge suits you and or the gun better for some reason .

4. Eyesight /glasses can be a problem so worth a check .

5. A combination of all of the above and best advice would be take a rest then next time you go out DONT think just shoot.

I really appreciate all the responses and suggestions, I'm going to try the mounting in front of a mirror as well as the lesser load shells. I can't remember what choke I have fitted, I know it's not full, but ofter hit longer birds and miss close ones, suggesting the pattern could be tight, so worth some pattern testing with the different chokes that cam with the gun. Cheers again guys