Dents

PeterHenry

16 minutes ago, PeterHenry said:

I recently took a gun in to get the barells checked for marks (pitting / scoring) and was surprised to be told that there was a dent in them. 

I struggled to see it even when it was pointed out - so I was wondering, is there a knack to it? Like one of those 3-D puzzle books?

You may find it easier to look down the OUTSIDE of the barrel, holding the barrel with a window or light in front of you. You should see a small dimple or Mark in the metal, then look down the inside whilst holding your finger on the dent. It's easier to do than explain  !   

The only " knack " is experience of viewing barrels and being able to recognise any marks ,distortion , dent or bulge ,

You can have what appears to be a perfect bore inside but has all sorts of rivals and marks on the outside  and vice versa .

Bulges are hardest to see esspesially behind the choke .

Dont view into to bright a light , view with a vertical or parallel line such as a window frame to cast a clear straight shadow down the bore .Dont hold to close to the eye , about 12 " in for me , and view with both eyes open or one eye half closed .

And of course your eye sight as can you see closeup to 3 feet  with or without glasses .

Very small dents are nothing to worry about unless they are the result of a pointed object which could have pierced the barrel if the walls are thin .

Edited by Gunman

14 hours ago, RyanMc said:

Probably a knack to spotting it in the right light, like looking up a barrel going in slight circles around the light source to shine the entire circumference when doing a clean, in my mind anyway, now that's a scary thought, not much of anything in there. 😛

Cheers, that's more or less what I've been doing

14 hours ago, Westley said:

You may find it easier to look down the OUTSIDE of the barrel, holding the barrel with a window or light in front of you. You should see a small dimple or Mark in the metal, then look down the inside whilst holding your finger on the dent. It's easier to do than explain  !   

Thanks - good advice

11 hours ago, Wylye said:

I always struggle to spot small dents in a barrel. The secret is to have a gunsmith you trust 100% and let him put you right, and the gun too come to that.

There's a very understanding and long suffering gunsmith about 15 mins away. I'm something of a perfectionist (which is just a nicer way of saying 'pedant') - which comes in as a very useful thing for my work, but is not so useful re things like shooting / fishing - as it just leads to overthinking and worrying about some minor mark or scratch....

1 hour ago, Gunman said:

The only " knack " is experience of viewing barrels and being able to recognise any marks ,distortion , dent or bulge ,

You can have what appears to be a perfect bore inside but has all sorts of rivals and marks on the outside  and vice versa .

Bulges are hardest to see esspesially behind the choke .

Dont view into to bright a light , view with a vertical or parallel line such as a window frame to cast a clear straight shadow down the bore .Dont hold to close to the eye , about 12 " in for me , and view with both eyes open or one eye half closed .

And of course your eye sight as can you see closeup to 3 feet  with or without glasses .

Very small dents are nothing to worry about unless they are the result of a pointed object which could have pierced the barrel if the walls are thin .

Thanks for that - as a feared, it's more a genuine skill than a knack. I will keep all of those in mind in the future

7 hours ago, PeterHenry said:

Cheers, that's more or less what I've been doing

Thanks - good advice

There's a very understanding and long suffering gunsmith about 15 mins away. I'm something of a perfectionist (which is just a nicer way of saying 'pedant') - which comes in as a very useful thing for my work, but is not so useful re things like shooting / fishing - as it just leads to overthinking and worrying about some minor mark or scratch....

Thanks for that - as a feared, it's more a genuine skill than a knack. I will keep all of those in mind in the future

Have you considered moving   ??   🤔

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2022 at 19:33, PeterHenry said:

I recently took a gun in to get the barells checked for marks (pitting / scoring) and was surprised to be told that there was a dent in them. 

I struggled to see it even when it was pointed out - so I was wondering, is there a knack to it? Like one of those 3-D puzzle books?

I had a guy come in for a gun service. I spotted a nasty dent in his barrels. He failed to see it and asked me how I could spot it. I told him it's called a five year apprenticeship in barrel making. 😄