Sycamore clay ground

Daveo26

Decided to try sycamore clay ground for the first time today, after reading about it on here.

Me and my mate went and shot 100 clays.

it’s smaller than I expected!  basically a track with traps either side. 
there was a lot of no birds, that came from using pick ups I suspect,  as the clays were a mix of orange and black.

a lot of the stands were singles, some which got a bit boring to be honest 

and quite a few of the traps messed about and went down.

to start with I wasn’t impressed.

now the positives.

The lads shooting there were all friendly and chatty seemed a decent bunch.

The staff were really helpful and equally friendly and got on getting traps up and running again.

as we shot the first 50 we both started to really enjoy the relaxed atmosphere.

it’s a case of shoot which clays you like, not a rigid 5 pairs and on to the next stand.

we shot the stands which we struggled with most, and ended up having a good laugh in the process.

I get the feeling and really hope the place is on the up, and with a few more traps it could be a very enjoyable shoot.

and the scenery is delightful.

we will go back in the future and see if this comes to fruition.

Id say if you’re wanting a serious Sunday shoot might not be for you but if you want a laugh with mates in a relaxed but safe atmosphere give it a go.

I wonder if you're the two me and my lad were talking too?  I remember you saying it was first time there. Nowt much working in the bottom except the 9/10 no birder single?

Best trap at the top. Apparently after we left Jay got things working and it turned into a decent shoot. 

He's promised to be on the ball next week and test things out in advance. 

Today before he sorted it, was what it used to be like every week before the management changed. To be fair, they are really trying. I noticed today most buttons were new and foot pedals for lone shooters. He just forgot to test them first 🤣🤣

2 hours ago, Centrepin said:

I wonder if you're the two me and my lad were talking too?  I remember you saying it was first time there. Nowt much working in the bottom except the 9/10 no birder single?

Best trap at the top. Apparently after we left Jay got things working and it turned into a decent shoot. 

He's promised to be on the ball next week and test things out in advance. 

Today before he sorted it, was what it used to be like every week before the management changed. To be fair, they are really trying. I noticed today most buttons were new and foot pedals for lone shooters. He just forgot to test them first 🤣🤣

Probably was us 😂 did I show you my new gun?

Yes the challenging, going away bird nearest the cabin was not easy and danced in the wind.

a fella on that stand gave me and my mate a handful of cartridges each, because he was finished.

thats never happened before.

I enjoyed it. Do you shoot up there regularly?

I shoot up there most Sundays, usually get there just before 10 to sign in  and often first round. It's always very laid back and friendly same bunch around 10am. Apparently gets busier later once the vouchers start and lessons.

In the summer there's a weekday shoot also. Occasionally they do a DTL or a FITASC. You might have noticed a rifle range as well, £50 per year membership. 

From the top stand if you look to the left other side of the valley is where I live. 10 mins away. I can hear the shots from my house.

Look forward to seeing you again 

I may well be wrong but as a regular there I would say it's getting better every week and this weekend just gone was hopefully a one off. We'll see.

A number of traps failed at the same time leaving it looking very amateurish and badly run, like it used to be before staff changed.

Jay, who sets the traps worked as fast as was safe to get them working. Most have new buttons and/or foot controllers so the problem "seemed" to be the battery terminals he explained. He said it would be sorted for this coming weekend as mostly new batteries too. It's obvious that money has been spent and improvements are being made.

No one can make excuses for 9 out of 10 no birds but apparently all the pick ups where loaded into one trap, hence far too many no birds and complete frustration. 

New staff, new ideas, got to give them the benefit of the doubt. Having said that I did come away thinking I'd thrown my money away this week and had plenty of cartridges unfired or simply wasted.

I'll give them till Xmas to sort it before going elsewhere. Others however may not be so patient. 

• 2 weeks later...

Credit where its due, last week was a good set up with few no birds.

This week was a brilliant set up with just 2 no birds out of 100. The best set up they've put on this year. New gear and new staff is paying off.

They're now using radios to get staff to any problems quicker, fortunately today none.

Unfortunately, maybe due to fog, baltic weather or maybe the nearby percy pud run only 5 people plus me and my son there. Such a shame.

• 4 months later...

April now and a new manager.

Today was a brilliant set and a real credit to those who run and set it up.

Foot pedals and buttons that always work. Fully charged batteries. Newly wired traps. Radios left out for the traps that can't be seem from the cabin window. Thought put into the set up and traps tested before the start. Staff available and walking round to assist.

That last paragraph may sound obvious but some things had been lacking. 

It's going from strength to strength and today's set up took some advance planning as it was quite cunning.

It's just a shame that it's the same dozen or so shooters each week and no new faces.

On 20/11/2022 at 13:50, Daveo26 said:

Id say if you’re wanting a serious Sunday shoot might not be for you but if you want a laugh with mates in a relaxed but safe atmosphere give it a go.

And this is exactly why I shoot clays.

I don't spend nights in the pub so I get my fix of talking rubbish and having a laugh at a local hay baler. It nice to know how I've done, but it's not that important in the grand scheme of things. 

55 minutes ago, manthing said:

And this is exactly why I shoot clays.

I don't spend nights in the pub so I get my fix of talking rubbish and having a laugh at a local hay baler. It nice to know how I've done, but it's not that important in the grand scheme of things. 

I only compete with myself. Last 2 weeks I've been using my .410 with 11gram cartridges just to have more fun. Nothing that can't be hit once you put your mind to it. Today I went back to 12 bore x 21gram still had fun. 

I think if it wasn't for the price of .410 I'd use them all the time, much more enjoyment as you have to work just a tad harder.

Funniest thing for me today was a young boy with his dad waiting to shoot stood behind me. I missed a easy low incoming and he picked it up, passed it to me and said, "here you are, I fetched it for you if you want to try again". Nuff said!🤣

18 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

I only compete with myself. Last 2 weeks I've been using my .410 with 11gram cartridges just to have more fun. Nothing that can't be hit once you put your mind to it. Today I went back to 12 bore x 21gram still had fun. 

I think if it wasn't for the price of .410 I'd use them all the time, much more enjoyment as you have to work just a tad harder.

Funniest thing for me today was a young boy with his dad waiting to shoot stood behind me. I missed a easy low incoming and he picked it up, passed it to me and said, "here you are, I fetched it for you if you want to try again". Nuff said!🤣

There’s nothing quite like the satisfaction of hitting the trickier targets with a .410 - You get some looks walking around the clay ground with a single .410 but everybody wants a go 🙂

1 hour ago, northstar said:

Hi Centerpin, hope you are well, who’s running the ground now ?

Richard and a shooting friend of his. Can't remember his surname but apparently he does Facebook thingy and runs a Facebook page/profile for Sycamore.  

It's looking well at the moment, they put thought and effort into each stand and if you want a particular type of bird just need to ask and they'll try for the next week.

As you know I'm an early bird, always there for opening time so maybe busier later but it's so quiet i worry it'll shut down. Last Sunday maybe 10 - 12 people shooting. Absolutely no one on the range. 

Load Brook clay shoot always gets a massive turnout but as it's monthly I don't think it makes much difference. Its not running this year, didn't last year. A lot of the shooters seem to come from the Beacon Rod shoot. I think his efforts(Load Brook) go into game shooting although to be fair, my son knows more about that side as he beats and shoots and goes on other shoots with them. 

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, grahamch said:

Is the ground open to non members? When is next shoot?

Open every Sunday from 1000, £15 for a 50 bird and I think £10 for a second round.

Starting 16th May Tuesday evening DTL from 1700 - 2000.

You only need to be a member if you use the rifle range.