Slab laying questions

billytheghillie

It depends on the ground conditions as to how a shed base is created. Using Type 1 could be an unnecessary cost.

I usually just lay the slabs on an evenly prepared area (that has been dug out carefully so as not to leave much loose earth) using a mortar consisting of 3 parts sharp sand, 1 part soft/building sand, 1 part cement. Mix to a not too wet consistency, with a splash of plasticiser added. And a solid bed of mortar is best,,,, spotting just creates future problems. This is usually quite sufficient for a shed/workshop base.

If you are going to use Type 1, I'd recommend a depth of 100mm and compact it really well. You'd need approximately 2 tons. A mortar (as above) thickness of approximately 30-40mm. HTH.

Afraid I can only offer my own experience. I had an area of slabs laid as a patio approx  12 ft by 30ft and had professionals lay it. They put down a layer of substrate which was a good nine inches after tamping down with vibrator. Those slabs have never moved in the twelve years they have been down.  If I was going to do the job myself for a shed base I would think of a number and add a bit, can't go wrong in putting too much in my mind.  If the jobs worth doing it's worth doing well.   Bear in mind that the weight of the shed is going to be transfered down its walls so be sure to make a good job in those areas.    JKD covers it well in my opinion and I am no expert.