Smooth cartridge

As noted above, the various factors of gun fit, clothing and other variables make a difference. However, there’s no getting away from the laws of physics: cartridges with lower pressures, lower loads, but enough velocity, are going to thump less. As one person observed above, if he has the same gun and clothes etc, he can notice a difference between various brands used over a day’s shooting. I have also done this and the contrast can be quite marked. As we all know, extreme velocity has little advantage if any. These are the ones which are noticeably harsh. I find the worst offenders to be some of the Italian jobs, which boast silly macho velocities. They only achieve more thump (to shoulder and pocket) without perceivable gain. 
Rant ends. 

I am not one to notice recoil very much, but one day during a heavy drive on a Welsh mountain I ran short and my neighbouring gun gave me a fistful of his cartridges. I was using Lyalvale Express Special Game and the ones I was given were Lyalvale Express Supreme Game with the deeper brass. I noticed the difference immediately as the Supremes were noticeably smoother. Both cartridges were the same load. I have used them for all driven days ever since. 

Edited by London Best

15 hours ago, ditchman said:

the "idea" of a smooth cartridge is directly linked to the weight of the gun and burning rate of the powder....and how low the comb/stock is configured.....i have used a nice smooth cartrige in my hamerless sxs..and theyworked nicely....i have then used the same cartridge in my old sxs hammer non-ejector...and ended up very jagged...

Ferret664 likes his Eley Grandprix 30-32gm............. i have shot those in my light sxs with 26" barrels ...and i was not a happy bunny..:oops:

I shoot eley grand prix traditional 30g 6 65mm in a lightweight sxs with 26 inch barrles and I personally find them really smooth