Smooth cartridge

2 hours ago, BBMK38 said:

Hull imperial game are the softest I’ve used

used them as well...:good:

also be aware just because a cartridge is advertised as "Express"...it dosnt mean it will kick like a mule....i have used 32gm Express..and im always surprised at how smooth they are........ cant remember the make ..sorry

Edited by ditchman

6 hours ago, ditchman said:

used them as well...:good:

also be aware just because a cartridge is advertised as "Express"...it dosnt mean it will kick like a mule....i have used 32gm Express..and im always surprised at how smooth they are........ cant remember the make ..sorry

Could they possibly be Lyalvale EXPRESS Cartridges?

5 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Could they possibly be Lyalvale EXPRESS Cartridges?

i have used lyalvale cartridges....i didnt get on with them too well ...just dont think they worked well in the gun.......racking my brains as to what make it was...it was a well know make ..that i know

27 minutes ago, Whitebridges said:

I'm with you.

They make them in 26g 28g and 30g. They come in a 65mm case and a very nice to shoot in old English game guns. Hit hard considering the light recoil.   

That was a cracking bottle of white wine my man...:good:

the "idea" of a smooth cartridge is directly linked to the weight of the gun and burning rate of the powder....and how low the comb/stock is configured.....i have used a nice smooth cartrige in my hamerless sxs..and theyworked nicely....i have then used the same cartridge in my old sxs hammer non-ejector...and ended up very jagged...

Ferret664 likes his Eley Grandprix 30-32gm............. i have shot those in my light sxs with 26" barrels ...and i was not a happy bunny..:oops:

It is all so subjective, mainly based upon gun fit, but weight of gun, balance of the gun and the ability of shooter are also key.

Whilst coaching on Saturday, the young chap struggled with a long crosser, I handed him my gun and he shot a trailing pair straight off.

He then commented that my gun was lighter than his.

To which I replied that it was indeed heavier but the weight was all between the hands and felt more lively.

His gun was a 28" barrelled Beretta 686 with and mine is a 32" Barrelled Beretta 682 Gold.

We were both shooting 28 gramme fibre loads.

Oh and his Father was having a nightmare, until he conceded that having so many layers on had changed his gun mount! 

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

It is all so subjective, mainly based upon gun fit, but weight of gun, balance of the gun and the ability of shooter are also key.

This is certainly true.  Therefore, when comparing cartridges for characteristics such as 'smoothness' and recoil - it is really only valid if done on the same occasion with the same gun and same clothes.

Since I am not over particular about cartridges (within reason), it is not uncommon for me to have more than one 'brand' of similar loads (e.g. 28g of No 6) in my bag.  Often the difference is quite noticeable between different brands then - and gun, gun fit, clothing etc. are the same.

31 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I only have two requirements in a cartridge.

1. Cost

2. Kill/break quality.

3 Preferably Red ( can’t miss ? ) 

😉Agriv8 

I had a mare on Saturday think I just got out of bed wrong side missed a sitter first thing and could not clear my head rest of the day !

18 minutes ago, Agriv8 said:

3 Preferably Red ( can’t miss ? ) 

😉Agriv8 

I had a mare on Saturday think I just got out of bed wrong side missed a sitter first thing and could not clear my head rest of the day !

No, I have dropped the colour requirement, just too expensive, I do keep a fair supply for "Special" days.   :cool1: