D.I.Y.blueing

Joe180

I have recenly done a sxs Pedersoli muzzloader I got from the Southam's auctions and used the old rust blueing method of stripping it back to bare metal then applying a rust blue/browning solution and then hanging it up to rust followed by boiling for 15 min and then cleaning all the furring off with a very fine stainless wire brush.  I repeated this 9 times (apart from stripping it back to bare metal),And ended up with a perfect jet black matt finish.

You'll need a boiling tanks. Which can just be a rectangular sheet of metal folded up at the corners and then welded to make a long trough. Next a heat source which can be on the cooker in the kitchen as long as you can get a nice rolling boil the full length of the tank (or at least half the length of the tank and reposition the thing to do the other half). After that its get the degrease right and get some rusting solution which will be some sort of concoction acid. 

The blue/browning solution is distilled water 50ml  with copper sulfate 4.8g with wire wool .85g dissolved in a warm solution then filter through a coffee filter paper then add hydrochloric acid 1.8g and  4.6g ferric chloride then top up to 100ml with distilled water.

15 hours ago, Joe180 said:

What’s the best d.I.y. Bluing that’s available today. It’s just for an old s/s project. Thanks.

If you are after an off the shelf bottle I was pleasantly surprised by Ballistol Klever Quick browning/bluing solution, following the instructions provided. I touched up the worn bluing on the barrels of a cheap SxS. Worth having a search of old threads to see how people have used it.