Can Anyone Tell the Difference?

15 hours ago, wymberley said:

Having to use NTS and not sure which to go for and really wants to stock up now (for good reason which makes sense for him). I’m going to suggest that he gets just sufficient for just one season at a time until he sees how things pan out.

There appears to be some question as to the longevity of some NTS wads when stored, so I’m not too sure ‘stocking up’ would be advisable, so I think your advice could be wise. 

12 minutes ago, Scully said:

And understandably so! 🙄

Sorry, but whether it's real ignorance or simply confected, what exactly is it that the supposed "experts" round here have against actually working stuff out, understanding deeply and taking the time to work through a proof or an argument and discover the details?

Of course we all know that Wymberley's mate isn't going to notice the difference of 0.0076 seconds in shot arrival times, but don't any of you have any intellectual curiosity about what we do? Are you really so arrogant as to think that because you personally don't care or understand that it isn't worth understanding?

The way most of you go on, it's a bit like claiming to be a world class racing driver but having no idea what kind of fuel to put in your car.

What harm does it do that those of us who are interested enough to take the time to work stuff out, because it's interesting to us, talk about it here? Why ridicule?

Why not live and let live, or indeed, follow the old advice that if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all?

Edited by neutron619

1 hour ago, neutron619 said:

Sorry, but whether it's real ignorance or simply confected, what exactly is it that the supposed "experts" round here have against actually working stuff out, understanding deeply and taking the time to work through a proof or an argument and discover the details?

Of course we all know that Wymberley's mate isn't going to notice the difference of 0.0076 seconds in shot arrival times, but don't any of you have any intellectual curiosity about what we do? Are you really so arrogant as to think that because you personally don't care or understand that it isn't worth understanding?

The way most of you go on, it's a bit like claiming to be a world class racing driver but having no idea what kind of fuel to put in your car.

What harm does it do that those of us who are interested enough to take the time to work stuff out, because it's interesting to us, talk about it here? Why ridicule?

Why not live and let live, or indeed, follow the old advice that if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all?

Don't worry.... there are plenty in the "silent" majority who do appreciate a good technical discussion.

7 hours ago, neutron619 said:

Sorry you took the flack. I'd been here about 4 days when I had the temerity to use the highly complex formula, 1500 divided by cubed root N, to answer a question and paid the price.

Never ask a question to which you don't already know the answer. I'm pretty sure 'someone' will read this thread and from the (sensible) answers given will realise that even if you increase the velocity at the muzzle quite a bit you gain very little down-range so your shoulder takes a smacking for very little benefit.

Edited by wymberley

On 17/02/2023 at 13:04, neutron619 said:

Well it was meant with tongue in cheek really, but now it’s upset you let me explain.
I have a genuine admiration for those who get all geeky about what they do; I admire their patience and that scientific inquisitiveness, and if it weren’t for those types of people we would be in dire straits I would think.
I wouldn’t say it’s ignorance on my part exactly, though admittedly more likely indifference due to a lack of interest, but that’s brought about by knowing that absolutely none of this is going to make one iota to improving one’s shooting or increasing the likelihood of improved scores, and that is what everyone on here is primarily concerned with….learning to improve one’s shooting abilities and increasing our scores. 

I do have an intellectual interest in shooting, but only in so far as it will help improve my shooting out in the field, and none of this will. 

If I didn’t know which fuel to put in my car I’d ask someone who did, but I wouldn’t expect him to break out the graphs and supply mathematical breakdowns regarding thrust and energy. I don’t need to know any of that.
Admittedly it does no harm, especially when it has no relevance to improving one’s kill ratio, but after two pages I can sum up the answer ( as you yourself have stated ) to the OP’s question, which even to my none intellectual mind, is a simple: No. 

You crack on, but remember you’re on a public forum, so you, like all of us on here, can expect ridicule, sarcasm and indeed praise.
I wasn’t the only one to comment, but I promise I won’t comment again…..unless of course it’s something totally worthy of ridicule. 😉