Turbo

Scully

Landrover turbo is on its way out. 
Have priced these anywhere from 240 quid to over 600. 
Anyone know if the reconditioned ones are a goer? One company is asking around 300 quid, with a warranty of 2 or 4 year ( can’t recall which without looking ) and want my old one and a 100 quid surcharge. 
Anyone used a reconditioned one? 
I’d prefer a good reconditioned to a cheap new one, and will bite the bullet for an expensive new one if necessary, just asking the question. 
Ta

how do you know your turbo is on the way out...........there is a simple test to find out

6 minutes ago, Scully said:

Anyone know if the reconditioned ones are a goer? One company is asking around 300 quid, with a warranty of 2 or 4 year ( can’t recall which without looking ) and want my old one and a 100 quid surcharge. 
I’d prefer a good reconditioned to a cheap new one, and will bite the bullet for an expensive new one if necessary, just asking the question. 
Ta

16 minutes ago, ditchman said:

how do you know your turbo is on the way out...........there is a simple test to find out

I think we’ve exhausted all methods ( unless you know of some more, which I’d be willing to try 🙂👍 ) of testing over the last month or so, and I’m heartily tired of driving just waiting for it to go into limp mode now, so it’s time to change I think. 

disconnect the outlet pipe (pressure side of the turbo wot goes into the engine)...start it up and hold a clean white cloth over the connection and rev it up and down up and down............clean white cloth should remain clean........

if it is clean.....then the problem is almost certain to be the acuator    .....(its like a air solenoid in reverse)  the actuator has a spring loaded diaphram in it which sometimes fails and leaks.........the actuator controls the wastgate in the turbo...which controls the flow and pressure of air into the engine.....actuators are cheap and easy to fix/ replace......

1 hour ago, Scully said:

I think we’ve exhausted all methods ( unless you know of some more, which I’d be willing to try 🙂👍 ) of testing over the last month or so, and I’m heartily tired of driving just waiting for it to go into limp mode now, so it’s time to change I think. 

On 09/02/2023 at 14:38, Scully said:

Ta

Recently had similar problems. 
I had my own turbo reconditioned at Garretts, the makers. 2.4 Puma engined 110. Cost was £700.

21 minutes ago, London Best said:

Recently had similar problems. 
I had my own turbo reconditioned at Garretts, the makers. 2.4 Puma engined 110. Cost was £700.

Thankyou, that’s worth knowing.  Mine is same model and engine. 👍

Just out of interest, mine is a 2010 and now has 103k on the clock; is yours similar mileage?