High rib

getthegat

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone uses a high rib.on their shotgun for shooting pigeons and corvids? I'm considering putting one on my Hushpower to lift the point of impact. I've raised the comb and it helps it from shooting low, but I now see all of the top of the barrel/drainpipe and its off putting. Thoughts anyone?

47 minutes ago, getthegat said:

It's a single barrel Pedretti 20 bore

Is that a full length hush mod ? , If the PW member is viewing the top of the barrel I presume the hushpower mod then I would suggest the stock needs dropping to line in shoulder a get a better sight plain, one way is to fit an adjustable butt pad, , like I have on my single barrel ?

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

This is quite a complicated matter.  When Churchill started producing 25" barrelled guns, with standard ribs, he found that they shot high.  He then raised the foresight to make them shoot lower, and joined the foresight and backsight with a high rib. You have effectively raised the backsight by raising the comb, which give you an elevated  view of the barrels, which will now shoot higher. If you raise the rib, and effectively the foresight, it will shoot lower again.  

I'll give up now, before I get in an even bigger muddle !

The gun has a full length moderator. I've raised the comb to stop it shooting low, so going back to a lower comb will put my eye along the barrel rather than on top, but will go back to shooting low. I don't like having to try and compensate for this and prefer to see my target rather than cover it. I was thinking about a graduated rib, higher at the breech end tapering down to nothing at the muzzle end. This would keep it from shooting low but possibly make the view more appealing. If that makes sense 

The gun’s point of impact is determined by its fit - i.e stock dimensions relative to its user. You can decorate the barrel (or barrels) with whatever you like, it will still place the pattern where the stock dictates, presuming a consistent mount. Perhaps a higher comb raiser might be more helpful, so you’re sight picture is over the top of your mod’. I would imagine this would give a pretty high shooting pattern. Perhaps experiment with adding cardboard and masking tape layers on the comb until the pattern plate results suit. Once you have the desired comb measurements, you can engineer a more permanent solution. 

As FELLSIDE says above. Many years ago Peter Powell when Powell's were still at Carr's Lane gave me the best explanation. Imagine the gun, barrel, stock as the hands of a clock. The barrels the long hand the stock the little hand.

The lower you lower the little hand (from the 9 o'clock towards 6 o'clock) the more you lower the long hand. Therefore stock down = point of impact down = gun shoots "flat" (the classic 50/50 buckshot or slug placement) or if lowered further gun shoots low.

The more you raise the little hand (from the 9 o'clock to the 12 o'clock) the more you raise the long hand. Therefore stock up = point of impact up (the classic 60/40 game placement) or if raised further the gun shoots high. Which is why trap guns have that raised comb or sometimes called Monte Carlo stock.

The only solution is to shoot through the bird and trust your instincts and momentum of the gun or to use the gun like a rifle with only the right eye and use the rib as a sight although some can shoot rifles with both eyes open.

Edited by enfieldspares

1 hour ago, enfieldspares said:

As FELLSIDE says above. Many years ago Peter Powell when Powell's were still at Carr's Lane gave me the best explanation. Imagine the gun, barrel, stock as the hands of a clock. The barrels the long hand the stock the little hand.

The lower you lower the little hand (from the 9 o'clock towards 6 o'clock) the more you lower the long hand. Therefore stock down = point of impact down = gun shoots "flat" (the classic 50/50 buckshot or slug placement) or if lowered further gun shoots low.

The more you raise the little hand (from the 9 o'clock to the 12 o'clock) the more you raise the long hand. Therefore stock up = point of impact up (the classic 60/40 game placement) or if raised further the gun shoots high. Which is why trap guns have that raised comb or sometimes called Monte Carlo stock.

The only solution is to shoot through the bird and trust your instincts and momentum of the gun or to use the gun like a rifle with only the right eye and use the rib as a sight although some can shoot rifles with both eyes open.

OK, all great advice. Many thanks. 

Sorry I can't supply any photos, not very good at tech stuff, but I made my own rib, from a 10mm wide strip of sprung steel out of the front axle of a 60s VW Beetle. I temporarily attached it to the moderator and did some test shots. First shot was high, so I lowered the rib at the breach end, which put the POI exactly where it should be. Now with it bonded onto the gun, I've had a few shots at wood pigeons and results are encouraging. The view up the barrel I feel is much improved, giving a flatter aim, drawing my eyes to the target rather than the top of the moderator. Now I think its down to me to improve what I do whilst shooting, I think I sometimes lift my cheek from the comb and I may be stopping the gun as I fire instead of carrying on the swing, bad habits but fixable. The gun itself isn't great for snap shots, so roost shooting was not the best practice to test my rib mod, being more user friendly when decoying. Only my opinion of course, my much lighter over under is far quicker, though with horses and Alpaca near a small wood I sometimes visit, the moderated 20 is far more preferable noise wise. 

Hi all, I also made a raised rib for my Hushpower 410. It was very disconcerting to look down the barrel and see the end of the moderator! I made mine from a 12mm hardwood strip, painted black. Now there is a clear line of sight down the barrel and on along the moderator to the bead. I had a thought and have asked David Connor at Highrib Co whether he might look at making some ‘pukka’ ones. 
A photo of my effort attached. 
cheers

897AD527-81C3-49F1-AF69-AF079D89D7F3.jpeg

1 hour ago, Piers Austin said:

Hi all, I also made a raised rib for my Hushpower 410. It was very disconcerting to look down the barrel and see the end of the moderator! I made mine from a 12mm hardwood strip, painted black. Now there is a clear line of sight down the barrel and on along the moderator to the bead. I had a thought and have asked David Connor at Highrib Co whether he might look at making some ‘pukka’ ones. 
A photo of my effort attached. 
cheers

897AD527-81C3-49F1-AF69-AF079D89D7F3.jpeg

Wow! That looks great. How do you feel the eye line is now? I had a 20bore version, could not get on with it, again partly due to the view up the barrel to the moderator