Westlands visit

benbobailey

Called into Westlands yesterday (wed). Upon arrival no customers in gun shop, no customers in cafe. Proceed to shooting ground and again no one else shooting. Pleasant for me as I could take my time and pick and choose stands. Party of 2 guns arrived to shoot.Upon return to clubhouse, only 1 table occupied in cafe and still no customers in gun shop. Had a nice coffee and staff friendly as always. For whatever reason it is a very under used facility. Back again on Sunday and it may have a few more guests then.

Edited by benbobailey
Sp

It does tend to be quiet during the week at this time of the year. You have to remember there are no visiting guns from game or Wildfowlers and it is low season for the cabins. With so few chimney pots around it will never be as busy as grounds closer to larger population centres. That just means that those of us that live locally can enjoy a leisurely visit with little queuing or hassle..

5 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

It does tend to be quiet during the week at this time of the year. You have to remember there are no visiting guns from game or Wildfowlers and it is low season for the cabins. With so few chimney pots around it will never be as busy as grounds closer to larger population centres. That just means that those of us that live locally can enjoy a leisurely visit with little queuing or hassle..

Yes I understand the low population density in this area leads to low footfall. I have been shooting clays at Westlands ( in all its previous guises) for many years, but I hoped the latest version with new gunshop, cafe/bar etc would have been a bit more of an attraction. I really hope it continues and wish them every success, certainly not a growth industry!

I go now and again and midweek is quiet which I must say I like it like that.

The last time I visted I could not see a thing because of the Sun as it was a clear day.

As you say the staff are really nice people and the food is good, a problem for me is that Kirkstone Pass is closed for a while but it's stll a 140 mile round trip for me.

We go mid week if possible simply because it’s just as you say, quite quiet.
Westlands strikes me primarily as one of those grounds visited by game shooters who like to shoot the odd clay, rather than dedicated trap shooters, and now the seasons over it’s generally fairly quiet until the weather improves.  

43 minutes ago, Scully said:

Westlands strikes me primarily as one of those grounds visited by game shooters who like to shoot the odd clay, rather than dedicated trap shooters, and now the seasons over it’s generally fairly quiet until the weather improves.  

I think you’re right.

Even I have been! I was taken there when visiting a friend in N. Cumbria and thoroughly enjoyed it. Nice place.

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Yes pretty certain that’s the way they want it as the main income is from the statics and campervans. I also use it for dog training. Just make the boys lie down whilst shooting. Great experience for their work picking up in the gun line.