A question on Daffodils

JohnfromUK

I am aware that it is considered 'good practice' to deadhead daffodils after flowering.  I do my garden and verge bulbs every year (just starting to deadhead this year now). However I was told today that 'wild daffodils' (i.e. the small native ones in woodlands and verges) are better not deadheaded - because they do grow from seed.  

My Google research suggests that;

• Yes, they can and will grow from seed, but it takes 5 to 7 years from germination to flowering
  • They aren't easily pollinated because there are not all that many insects around in flowering season and daffoldils don't produce nectar to attract insects
  • The pollen doesn't wind carry.
  • The bulbs do multiply underground and divide and spread - but whether that is assisted by deadheading is not clear.

Does anyone know a true answer?  My own guess is that both deadheading and leaving will work and it isn't probably constant in every season/situation which way will be best.

Just now, Bigbob said:

I always dead head mine but i thought it was < allowing them to set seed takes more energy from the bulb , when after flowering the buld should be storing more energy for flowering the next year 

I completely agreeand do all my garden ones - that was always my 'understanding' - but today - it was questioned if that was also the right thing for 'wild' daffodils.

They planted huge raft of daffs at work far too many to dead head and in a couple of years they are down to patches , the only place i see any thrive is the council planted the middle of two dual carriageways with different variety's and after flowering leave it till even the leaves are dead then mow the grass and daffs and they seem to thrive on it 

1 minute ago, Bigbob said:

after flowering leave it till even the leaves are dead

Which is what I always understood was the right thing to do.  When they have flowered, the leaves need to remain to 're-charge' the bulb for next season.  Cut the leaves off before they naturally die down and they will weaken and die out.