It Rained All Day

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

Around that time a mate of mine bought one that I believe was already second hand , it was made from a windscreen motor and had two speeds , all you done was took the connector out of one socket and stuck it in the other , this did make a difference with the speed , after a while , like a lot of P W members he called it a day and gave me the whole set up with the magnet as I used to take him wildfowling a lot on the marshes I rented , the base and the motor was fine , the only thing that broke after regular use was the arms would snap near the flat metal block that married into the motor , the arms were made from thin metal rods and while I had it the arms came adrift a few times near the metal block and the farm boys would stick a bit of weld on and we were soon ready to go again .

Time move on and another member was packing Pigeon shooting in and just going rifle shooting , so he put all his gear on the sales section and I ended up buying the lot , he had a light weight magnet which I kept and still use and my old one I gave to Lakeside who was a member on here , he sorted the arms out and the motor never ever let him down , so at a rough guess I would say is well over 40 years old , what car the motor came off I haven't got a clue , but for liability I would say a Honda rather than the old fashion Skoda :lol: 

found the old thread with the pictures of my first home made magnet...https://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/393551-pigeon-magnet/#comment-3610684

2 hours ago, old'un said:

found the old thread with the pictures of my first home made magnet...https://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/393551-pigeon-magnet/#comment-3610684

Never seen one like the one you made , then again if it was a one off then it could be a good reason why I have never came into contact with it's twin brother or sister.

No doubt with you being a lot younger at the time then the weight wouldn't had been a to bigger concern , I might be wrong but to me it look fairly heavy although if you continued making them you would had cut out any bits that didn't serve a purpose , the arms looked very similar to the one I was given and I found when it was windy the arms went up and down like a yo yo , the one I have got now have only got two prongs that go into the ground and is hollow inside with a metal rod inside , you can take it out to lower the motor or leave it in to raise to normal level , the arms are telescopic so you can have them short or long and I often have one arm short and the other long , on the top of the motor the two arm connectors are adjustable with a screw underneath so you can raise them up or lower them to just about them being flat .

I also use a small battery like the one in the photo if I have to walk a fair way and that can go in the pocket , that normally last for three to four hours which nowadays is long enough .    MM 

12 hours ago, marsh man said:

I also use a small battery like the one in the photo if I have to walk a fair way and that can go in the pocket , that normally last for three to four hours which nowadays is long enough .    MM 

After many experiments with small batteries and even AA batts in series I settled on this below. Twice the price of my normal batteries which come from a motability scooter. However, much smaller and less than half the weight. I've used it quite a few times now with a timer on a flapper and it's still showing over 12 volts without needing recharging.

Screenshot_20230411_073617_Amazon Shopping.jpg

13 hours ago, marsh man said:

Never seen one like the one you made , then again if it was a one off then it could be a good reason why I have never came into contact with it's twin brother or sister.

No doubt with you being a lot younger at the time then the weight wouldn't had been a to bigger concern , I might be wrong but to me it look fairly heavy although if you continued making them you would had cut out any bits that didn't serve a purpose , the arms looked very similar to the one I was given and I found when it was windy the arms went up and down like a yo yo , the one I have got now have only got two prongs that go into the ground and is hollow inside with a metal rod inside , you can take it out to lower the motor or leave it in to raise to normal level , the arms are telescopic so you can have them short or long and I often have one arm short and the other long , on the top of the motor the two arm connectors are adjustable with a screw underneath so you can raise them up or lower them to just about them being flat .

Actually it was not as heavy as it looks, made from light gauge steel plate and angle iron, think the motor was the second one as the first one packed up.

As you say I was a lot younger then and could carry all my gear and a bag full of pigeons.

2 hours ago, Centrepin said:

After many experiments with small batteries and even AA batts in series I settled on this below. Twice the price of my normal batteries which come from a motability scooter. However, much smaller and less than half the weight. I've used it quite a few times now with a timer on a flapper and it's still showing over 12 volts without needing recharging.

Screenshot_20230411_073617_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Certainly worth thinking about as my sessions now rarely need the big battery I take , mine came off a golf buggy and like most of my gear it was second hand when I bought it for a fiver , it now must be getting on for ten years old and have never let me down even on the rare occasion when I would spend most of the day in a hide , again the downfall is the weight , there have even been the odd time when I have took it the day before and left it after the session was over and gone after it the following day , another advantage in having the time , now that working for a living is now just a memory :good:

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Actually it was not as heavy as it looks, made from light gauge steel plate and angle iron, think the motor was the second one as the first one packed up.

As you say I was a lot younger then and could carry all my gear and a bag full of pigeons.

I know wonder how on earth did I manage to carry all the gear plus a good bag of Pigeons and didn't think to much of it , now I often make two trips with just the gear before I even shoot a Pigeon , just the other day a chap I know shot 30 odd on cut game cover and dropped them off at mine , it got the sack full out from the back of his Land Rover more or less with one hand and left them near my garage door , after we had a yarn he made his way home and I was going to lay them out to cool off , there was 36 in the sack and I more or less dragged the sack to inside my garage , I then had to take some out while the sack was still on the floor before I could lift it onto my bench , at one time this would had been a doddle even with all the gear spread across your back , still I would rather make a couple of trips rather than knock yourself up , again it is down to old age and having the time to overcome it .   MM

59 minutes ago, old'un said:

Looking at PC’s powered fishing trolley I am amazed one of the big shooting suppliers have not built a pigeon shooting trolley.

That’s my next project!!!!

I’ve got the wife scanning all the second hand marketing sites for more future bargains, while I’m ordering the camo paint and PC logos!!!!!

3 hours ago, pigeon controller said:

That’s my next project!!!!

I’ve got the wife scanning all the second hand marketing sites for more future bargains, while I’m ordering the camo paint and PC logos!!!!!

Thing is will they be cheap and do PW members get a discount.:)