Mud, mud and mud

Centrepin

Despite the rain I decided to visit my perm as I'd not been since last Friday when barley was put in.

Saw a couple of pigeon over a flight line and when I stepped out of the car, around 100 lifted and departed from a dip in the land around where I have a permanent hide.

Round the margins it's only a couple of hundred yards but in claggy ankle deep mud and water it took a while even travelling light.

Into the hide and put out some decoys close in. Decoys and seat are left in the hide and even they are muddy. Taking a look at myself, I then had mud right up my legs, over my smock and even in my face. 

Not expecting much, I was surprised when around 4 crows came straight in. I was surprised, I was just taking a drink.

Missed.

15 minutes later they came back and I dropped one. Onto the flapper immediately and covered in more mud.

Then the rain really started, I called it a day with 5 down, 3 picked. 2 crow, 1 small jackdaw.

On the way back to the car the pigeons started to return, seemed to be almost as soon as I turned my back. Managed 2 shots for zero results. 

20230414_103818.jpg.fa049a6660b2a15a4a380cf99ecc9822.jpg

@VelocetteThanks for the gun😀

2nd picture is just after 1 hour in the same hide the week previous with surface seed.

20230407_111643.jpg.119a495e79fa9ad91b3f6b1c35dbd1d8.jpg

I think the rains rusting my joints, I ache all over this morning.

1 hour ago, Centrepin said:

Despite the rain I decided to visit my perm as I'd not been since last Friday when barley was put in.

Saw a couple of pigeon over a flight line and when I stepped out of the car, around 100 lifted and departed from a dip in the land around where I have a permanent hide.

Round the margins it's only a couple of hundred yards but in claggy ankle deep mud and water it took a while even travelling light.

Into the hide and put out some decoys close in. Decoys and seat are left in the hide and even they are muddy. Taking a look at myself, I then had mud right up my legs, over my smock and even in my face. 

Not expecting much, I was surprised when around 4 crows came straight in. I was surprised, I was just taking a drink.

Missed.

15 minutes later they came back and I dropped one. Onto the flapper immediately and covered in more mud.

Then the rain really started, I called it a day with 5 down, 3 picked. 2 crow, 1 small jackdaw.

On the way back to the car the pigeons started to return, seemed to be almost as soon as I turned my back. Managed 2 shots for zero results. 

20230414_103818.jpg.fa049a6660b2a15a4a380cf99ecc9822.jpg

@VelocetteThanks for the gun😀

2nd picture is just after 1 hour in the same hide the week previous with surface seed.

20230407_111643.jpg.119a495e79fa9ad91b3f6b1c35dbd1d8.jpg

I think the rains rusting my joints, I ache all over this morning.

This have been a funny ole Spring around these parts , our area is known as one of the driest areas in the UK , if we are are the driest then all I can say that some areas must be pretty wet , we have a lot of light land so even after heavy rain it start drying out after a few days so our tractors still get on the fields when we get a short dry spell , no fun shooting in wet weather and even more so when the land is waterlogged that you are shooting over , the only exception to the rule is wild fowling , mind you it will be a few months before we blow the dust off the duck decoys .

Good of you for getting out and I hope your aches and pains ease off as the day wear on .   MM

36 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, well done, 👍 I have some jackdaws to sort out as there taking the lamb feed but could not get them to decoy ? Interesting shotgun ??

The gun is recent purchase for my son in law, a new shooter. Currently on my ticket till he gets his. I just had to try it first😁

Lots of Jackdaw about at moment, they seem to come in singular rather than 2s or 3s like crows. I find they respond to an Acme caller blown like a long screech.

42 minutes ago, marsh man said:

mind you it will be a few months before we blow the dust off the duck decoys

If it keeps raining, they'll be landing in the ponds created in the fields by rain. Strange thing is I've only seen drakes so far on the river

8 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

The gun is recent purchase for my son in law, a new shooter. Currently on my ticket till he gets his. I just had to try it first😁

Lots of Jackdaw about at moment, they seem to come in singular rather than 2s or 3s like crows. I find they respond to an Acme caller blown like a long screech.

If it keeps raining, they'll be landing in the ponds created in the fields by rain. Strange thing is I've only seen drakes so far on the river

Thanks, I was asking what model ??

3 hours ago, Centrepin said:

A lot of the hen Mallard would be sitting on eggs now and would be hatching off any day now and no doubt some would already be hatched off , one reason you are seeing a lot of drakes .      MM

4 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Thanks, I was asking what model ??

4 hours ago, Mr.C said:

recon its this one

That's the one. Excellent purchase. Very well looked after and in fine condition. Choked, skeet skeet. Little short in LOP for me, but it fits my son in law. He gets to try it Sunday 😁

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

A lot of the hen Mallard would be sitting on eggs now and would be hatching off any day now and no doubt some would already be hatched off , one reason you are seeing a lot of drakes .      MM

Rivers well up, I hope they have good nests