Estuaries for Sea Trout / Grilse

Smokersmith

So … it looks like my upcoming trip to Scotland for Salmon will be not be helped by very low river levels and a lack of rain in the forecast.

My attention is being drawn to the river mouth around dawn as I know there are Sea Trout and the odd grilse to be had there (also a Bass or two).

Has anyone down this type of fishing (on the fly) and any tips?

I have no knowledge of patterns etc but wonder about the legality, will you need a licence, permission, does anyone own the rights to fishing in the estuary and immediate areas, I have a beautiful estuary near me that has changed course bringing a deep gully close to the shore, the area screams Bass but Im not sure where i stand fishing for them [even using bait] as its part of an extremely expensive fishery. Sea anglers do occasionally catch game fish all around Scotland but are obliged to return them unharmed 

It used to be 1 mile each side of a river mouth into the sea required a fishing permit, the Hudson fifth has signs stating permit required to fish The inner firth. 

Just now, bodach said:

It used to be 1 mile each side of a river mouth into the sea required a fishing permit, the Hudson fifth has signs stating permit required to fish The inner firth. 

Beauly Firth not Hudson 

Most silvery fry patterns, clousers, etc will work.

Most common depth is 3 to 6 feet at early light, I normally wade gently in to about boollocks depth and cast from there into likely areas with weedy stoney areas preferred, rather than pure sand but it depends on estuary type and how the low tide pools form from the river\burn entering the sea.