NV ir question

30-6

I know the difference between 850 and 940 IR illumination.

But when an animal be it fox, rabbit or rat is shone at with IR, are they just able to see the red glow from the torch itself, or are they aware that the immediate area around them has to a degree lit up ?

Hello, I think they are aware of the infra red from the torch head and beam with an 850 , I was doing some close range ratting last night and they became skittish when I switch on the I/R torch, apparently the 940 torch  is classed as covert, which Is on my list of purchases, it would be interesting to get a scientific view 

8 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I think they are aware of the infra red from the torch head and beam with an 850 , I was doing some close range ratting last night and they became skittish when I switch on the I/R torch, apparently the 940 torch  is classed as covert, which Is on my list of purchases, it would be interesting to get a scientific view 

Also between Led type I/R torches and Laser type I/R torches, 

Most nocturnal wildlife see more than human eyes. I suspect they don't readily notice 940nm unless they are on alert and looking for what spooked them. Many people assume that because we don't see the light emitting from the torc h we don't need to be cautious about scanning/walking/shouldering the rifle with it illuminated - but a moving light source will usually be seen and cause them to scrutinise it.

Edited by Dave-G

2 hours ago, paddywack said:

Foxes & rats defo see the red glow from torch with an 850,&deer often walk upto a trail cam to see what it is

6 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Also between Led type I/R torches and Laser type I/R torches, 

The brighter it is (laser and focus range ) the easier it is to spook quarry, particularly if they have been pressurised before. I f I am shooting an area a lot I will try to use the smallest led IR at broad focus as I can get easily enough range (with the drone) and if they have been hunted before they are far less likely to run.