Vintage Eley Grand Prix.

On 24/06/2023 at 08:44, ditchman said:

those are plastic cases...................

i used to buy grand prix when i was flush....but they were the paper case.....you opened them and were hit buy that loverly smell of varnish and powder........then you get your gun out and you were hit by another scent...................the old gun oil we used to use............

them were the days eh 

Stoppit! I've just lost 5 minutes delving into the depths of my memory for the same thing. The feel of that varnished paper...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 24/06/2023 at 10:08, TOPGUN749 said:

Steel has been the main metal used for at least 70 years,I have some paper case ICI cases from about 1950 and a magnet picks them up.

You’ve had me just testing old cartridges with a magnet. 
I was surprised to find that some old paper cased Grand Prix with “brass” heads could be picked with a magnet, as you said. 
But I also have paper cased Grand Prix with real brass heads which, obviously, are not magnetic. Those are very old, with “Smokeless Diamond” markings. Possibly up to 120 years old.
Other cartridges from the same era but with deep brass can be lifted with a magnet. This is likely because the deep brass heads were steel lined in a better quality case.

Of course all this rose tinted nostalgia overlooks one important thing. That if the Edwardians had had plastic shotgun cartridges they'd have adopted them and used them in gross. The well educated cohort of Edwardians were huge enthusiasts for new technology that applied to shooting and firearms and one of the best examples is Winston Churchill. Not for him the revolver but first the Mauser C96 and then the Colt 1911.