Vintage Eley Grand Prix.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

those are plastic cases...................

i used to buy grand prix when i was flush....but they were the paper case.....you opened them and were hit buy that loverly smell of varnish and powder........then you get your gun out and you were hit by another scent...................the old gun oil we used to use............

them were the days eh 

We used to buy them from an ironmonger store in St Andrews .I recall the staff had them in a wee wall cupboard  by kitchenware .They sold them just as they would a kitchen utensil. No drama . Makes you wonder where the publics overall negative attitude to fieldsports took this turn.It was usually when the supply of russian rounds was running low and we had a big day  ahead on the estates ferreting/pigeon shooting.I was young and had very little cash.,I used to count every shot fired against how many birds/rabbits i had in the bag for sale to the dealer. PS. if i was really flush id ask for a box of alphamax or maximums for duck or geese!!!

Edited by bishop

50 minutes ago, London Best said:

Eley started using steel heads because it was cheaper than brass. 
They rusted badly, especially with coastal use. 
Cartridge heads now are still steel but plated. You can pick them up with a magnet. That was not possible with older cartridges.

Steel has been the main metal used for at least 70 years,I have some paper case ICI cases from about 1950 and a magnet picks them up.

We used to stop off on a Saturday morning if we was running short of cartridges in the now Oil 4 Wales garage on top of Nantycaws hill outside of Carmarthen and buy a few boxes of cartridges before heading down to Pembrokeshire.

The cartridges would be on a shelf in the garage shop, and you would pick them up and proceed to pay at the till.

The main Dyfed Powys Police Headquarters is only 1/2 mile away, and how times have changed.

I knew a man that was a manager at Eley. He said that apparently steel required less processes than did brass. So the cheapness wasn't just the cost of the metal but that less things had to be done to it. That they "hated" brass for that reason.

For collectors there are some Eley shotgun cartridges that were made in France after there had been an incident at the Kynoch in Birmingham. I don't know if that was a fire or an explosion. But there were...certainly in 20 Bore...French made Eley.

I visited the Kynoch in the 1980s when it was still making shotgun cartridges. But even then (as it had long stopped making metallic cartridges except .22RF and .50 Browning it was being run down.

However it still had red roads, green roads, yellow roads and etc.. Roads with a painted line so that those wanting one building or "mill" were told to "Follow the red road"." And in the offices that fantastic walk through glassed cased display of cartridges.

Edited by enfieldspares

We used to buy cartridges from Mitchell’s the ironmongers in lochgelly 6 alphamax bb please or hymax ( I was only 14 ) the progressed to topmark duck and goose it was 1979 . Then once I was 16 and got my bigboy pants on Winchester XX 2s or CIL imperial or remmy power pistons . What an era 

3 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, before I left school I worked  on a farm  to buy my cartridges , 1962 to 1965 , oh happy days 

I recall walking back one afternoon back   up the  fields from my favorite oak tree on a sown field  and asking the farmer for some paper eley cartridges i could buy off him.he used to give me them free!!   ahh changed days indeed

Of course do remember that Grand Prix far from being a premium cartridge was actually Eley's cheapest and lowest quality offering. The bottom rung on the ladder through Bonax, Primax, Gastight and whatever else with metal lined case and such up to Alphamax and etc.. Yet nowadays it seems to be largely forgotten that it was actually very much that base line ranking....loaded in a low brass unlined and non-waterproof basic paper case with a cheap wad of Thames board rather than a real felt wad. Rose tinted glasses and nostalgia have elevated it to a status it neither had nor deserves.

Edited by enfieldspares

7 minutes ago, 39TDS said:

It was what people could afford, or more precisely was within the affordable bracket. It took quite a bit of effort to buy a box of 25, none of this modern day 1000 minimum stuff.

Yes,and Grand Prix weren’t the cheapest at £1.15 a box in 1974, others were £1 or less.Not many could afford to buy in bulk with 1000 costing around £35,(2 weeks take home pay in many cases) Today despite VAT being double we get more for our money.