Low squirrel carts

Hull make an 11 gram no 7 .410 cartridge.  We nicknamed them low squirrel,  as opposed  to the high pheasant   19 grm ones  .

Anyway  .I have a few boxes and felt they could have the killing energy  as they go pretty fast but with only 130 pellets ranges would be kept reasonable .these are really quiet out of my hushpower .410  but  I wanted to test them on a few pigeons .so far I've dropped a few out of the tree above me but I wanted to take a few on the wing .

Today I managed a nice pige at about 20 yds above me .which was nice .then a group passed about 35 yds across  in front of me .I aimed for the last one and gave him a couple of feet of lead and the little cartridge  folded him in the air and I watched him tumble into the standing barley .very pleased .no doubt there was an element of luck at that range but clearly the small  11 grm clay  and game cart has enough  energy per pellet to do the job .

Any body else use these hull cartridges for quarry .? 

They're the only .410 cartridge my local man sells.

I use them mainly on clays but occasionally on pigeon and crow. 

In the pattern they come down, not always dead unless you're fortunate enough to make a head shot, normally broken wings and need finishing.

Squirrels dead on the tree.

As they're now £100 per slab I'm using my .410 less and less and am even considering selling it due to cost.

That's good to hear.

Yes there aren't many cheap cartridges  any more. 

I paid £100  a slab too .

I dont mind so much with a 19 grm high pheasant  load but you would think 11 grm would be more like £65  but sadly no .

I seem to be using my .410 s more than my other cals .  They are Just  more enjoyable  to shoot and they do kill pigeons and crows .

I found that my use for everything Miroku MK38 sporter was getting too heavy for me and my shooting was suffering I changed to an OU .410.

I bought several slabs from Peter Coppin and Son who have a fantastic range. Unfortunately now about a 5 hour round trip, not including the cuppa and chat.

Having used them all I went to my local man but he's too expensive.

I really enjoy the .410 and get a lot of comments when using it on clays. Normally people just can't understand it shoots the same way with same amount of lead given, the only real difference is less lead pellets in the pattern. By choice I use skeet and 1/4. I think the misunderstanding comes from a lighter gun being quicker to move therefore people see it as more lead. 

Unfortunately due to price I'm back with the 12 bore and have found the KOFs light enough for my use.

I'm planning to call into Philip Webster Gunsmiths in the next week or so as I belive he has a good range and affordable. I'm in the area so it'd be rude not to stock up on a few thousand if I can afford it. I'll get a range from 9 gram through to 18/19 gram.

I've found that with 11gram there's nothing I can't hit at my local clay ground, I'd just like a heavier load for cleaner bird kills.

This is exactly  what I've found also .the patterns are generally  the same size as bigger cals just with less pellets and hence a bit bigger gaps between the holes  reduce the range somewhat and the density is sufficient  to kill and break clays . I've also felt (not scientific)  that a .410 gives me an advantage  over a 12 or 20 when it comes to a crossing shot  I "feel " that the string at around 25 - 30 yds  maybe be a bit longer front to back than a 12 and could possibly make hitting a crossing pigeon a touch easier . I dont know but I feel more confident with a .410 in my shoulder on a 25 yds horizontal  crosser than I do a 20 /12 b 

Maybe the  way a .410 is stacked in the cart in a long thin line may produce a longer string ???🤔

Either way I like it 👌

I remember when my son first used his mossberg hushpower, he loaded a single number 9 shot cartridge, a few moments later a pigeon flew over around 25-30 yards, he started raising the gun, I started to say to myself, “good luck with that one s….” *POP* down falls a stone dead pigeon :). I was impressed because it was his first ever shot with the gun and I’ve since witnessed him drop birds with it at ranges I’d be happy at with a 12 bore, such a capable calibre in the right hands.

On 29/06/2023 at 09:46, Ultrastu said:

Yes there aren't many cheap cartridges  any more. 

I paid £100  a slab too .

I dont mind so much with a 19 grm high pheasant  load but you would think 11 grm would be more like £65  but sadly no .

I called into Phillip Websters at Wymondham. His slab price for .410 Fiocchi 18gram x 6s magnums £87, £13 cheaper than my locals. 

He's £33 a slab cheaper on Sipe 32 x 5s(12 bore) and £21 a slab cheaper on Super lights (12 bore).

I didn't buy his entire stock my car can't carry it, but if I could I would have.