Franchi Over/Under help please!

impala59

My old Luigi Franchi over/under has developed an annoying intermittent fault. It is auto safety and barrel select is on the safety catch. Push left and forward fires the top barrel first, right and forward the lower barrel first. I must confess to not knowing much about this mechanism, it having been totally reliable until recently. Maintenance within the action has been limited to cleaning (occasionally) and a light oil on pivot points.

What is happening now, occasionally, is that irrespective of which barrel is selected, the second won't fire, if the safety is moved back, across and forward, then the second barrel will fire. It would appear that whatever sets the trigger sear to the second hammer sear is not always moving across? I cannot see any mechanical device to input any sideways action and I'm at a bit of a loss as to see (a)what could be wrong and (b) how the thing actually resets the trigger for the second shot. There seems to be no dirt, swarf, fouling, unburnt powder or any other contaminant in the mechanism. I would be grateful if anyone can shed a little light on this for me. I am guessing that something may happen in recoil that resets the trigger sear but can't for the life of me see what. Ammunition is what I've always used, Bornaghi 28g and 24g 7.5 shot

977850385_franchi(3).jpg.2d73f2300c3bedd825c1fc7120ded006.jpgHammers cocked, safety engaged

87891983_franchi(2).jpg.d57a5af5061a0af8cf1674cb86877288.jpgSafety off, Top barrel selected (left hammer), trigger sear engaged

1894791353_franchi(1).jpg.33955d219668c4eaebc298025065bd37.jpgTop barrel fired(left, nearest to camera) Trigger sear remains in left position

I Would personally clean the mechanism thoroughly then check for any burrs,cracks etc.A visit to a gunsmith would get you sorted but first clean everything then apply minimal oil to pivots,slides and moving parts then re assemble.with an empty gun pull the trigger,don't touch anything give the butt plate a good wack and see if it's moved over to the next barrel.

Edited by wisdom
Spelling mistake

I assume when you say "when fired" you mean with live rounds? In that case being auto safe it could be what London Best said but also I have found that if the lever spring has weakened and the lock up or "bites" are loose sometimes the lever flicks open enough to engage auto safe. Happens frequently on old loose Brownings and Mirokus I've come across. I always polish the sear pads and recoil block lip where it engages the sear pads during a service for a nice slippy surface helping to release when fired. Do so at your own risk though. Prefer you saw a competent gunsmith. 

If you mean when fired with snap caps then it is perfectly normal not to fire second barrel without recoil. I once had a guy return a Beretta to me because he said the second barrel didn't fire. This was before he had a chance to live fire it. I put snap caps in and pulled the trigger then thumped the stock and pulled the trigger again with no issues. He didn't realise he had to do that with snap caps.

1 worn selector ,common fault

2 weak safe spring ,common fault

3 inertia block plunger in the trigger plunger and spring dirty /rusty /weak , common fault

4 Cocking rod/rods springs - can cause problems but not so likely

5 Wear on the inertia block tongues that engage the hammer , common  fault and is a strong possible  .The trigger lifts the inertia block but it slides up the sear not engaging

6 Check that the trigger is not fouling or catching on the guard bow so that the trigger is coming full forward , this may happen if the guard has had a knock 

Edited by Gunman