Reclaiming and separating lead from sand out of the butt's.

The sand in the butt's at my rifle club is heavily overloaded with lead. And I mean heavily.  I've sort of lumbered myself with doing something about it and I am experimenting with different things.  Last week I took a few heavy rubble sacks in and filled three about a third up. That is about as much as is  comfortable to carry.  I have a small sieve and tried to separate the lead from the sand. This was semi successful but the problem is that at some stage a load of sharp sand has been added so the lead and the stonechips are a similar size.  I got a plastic bucket filled with water and poured a load in.  I  got a border spade and stirred it around so that the lead bullets would migrate to the bottom.  I  removed most of the water and today I turned the bucket upside-down (sand castle)  yes there was a thick layer of bullets that I can shovel off.  But this is only a small scale operation. Anyone done this and got ideas. Ps I am aware of the lead aspect of this and have taken sensible precautions. 

The bloke who used to do some of this passed away and the last I heard about the brass was that the scrappers wouldn't take it for fear of there being live rounds in amongst the brass... but who knows what went down.  If I  do it then it WILL ALL go back to the club.  And if there is a loose round or two they can go in a box for the boys to shoot.

1 hour ago, wisdom said:

That's how I used to do ours.But ours were only in sand so it was easy.

What did you do?   DrySift the tips or wash them out.?

2 hours ago, wisdom said:

Thanks for that.  I'm  not sure the best ...most efficient way to deal with this. There is a LOT of it.  It's in an indoor range so it's dry and dusty and there is about 75 yards to get it to a vehicle.  Then move it again.  We'll have to do something with it.

Sieve in situ using a quarter inch mesh that way you'll have sand, small gravel fall through and intact bullets be retained by the sieve. Remember there's enough lead in those intact bullets and the small bits are not worth the extra effort.

2 hours ago, Minky said:

And if there is a loose round or two they can go in a box for the boys to shoot.

No! Destroy them as soon as you find them. There and then. My brother "put them in a box" to keep "for the boys" to shoot that had firearms in that calibre and and was then prosecuted for having ammunition in calibres he was not authorised to possess when they were found in his cabinet on a random inspection.

Edited by enfieldspares

57 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Sieve in situ using a quarter inch mesh that way you'll have sand, small gravel fall through and intact bullets be retained by the sieve. Remember there's enough lead in those intact bullets and the small bits are not worth the extra effort.

No! Destroy them as soon as you find them. There and then. My brother "put them in a box" to keep "for the boys" to shoot that had firearms in that calibre and and was then prosecuted for having ammunition in calibres he was not authorised to possess when they were found in his cabinet on a random inspection.

I didn't mean that I would be randomly issuing liverounds to boys who would be going off of the range with them.  But IF  I

were to find  the odd dropped  round the boys could shoot them on the range.  Not to dissappear with liverounds, This is indoor target shooting at 25 metres