International licence information

Neverforget

This is a serious one

looking for some information please, we have a international licence holder at work using company vans, now the problem is he has took his uk driving test and failed 

question is is he allowed to drive on his international licence still, I have voiced my opinion and said it’s illegal for him to drive as he failed the test, work have said he can 

cheers 

35 minutes ago, Neverforget said:

This is a serious one

looking for some information please, we have a international licence holder at work using company vans, now the problem is he has took his uk driving test and failed 

question is is he allowed to drive on his international licence still, I have voiced my opinion and said it’s illegal for him to drive as he failed the test, work have said he can 

cheers 

Fom memory 12 months on international then you need to take your test.

We've had this problem since 2005 when my then employer started importing drivers and gave them to me to retrain. 

I did training, retraining, driver assesements and insurance assessments. In my limited experience I found 80% of foreign licence holders either fraudulent, (borrowed, forged or simply altered) or outrageously dangerous. Some countries still issue paper licences written in ink!

As far as I'm aware you can continue to drive on a foreign licence even having failed a test here. Checking only happens on a company level at interview or proper scrutiny following a major accident and then it's too late.

Having failed a test they generally moved on to another company doing the same job on the same licence.

You may find, depending on class of vehicle that your insurance company will not accept the risk.

I only have experience of HGV, now class C and C + E. If it is HGV then its the responsibility of your nominated CPC holder, normally the transport manager but it may vary. He/She should be fully aware of the law and its periodic amendments. He will have access to both DVLA and VOSA. I retired in 2017 and stopped assessments before that due to illness so I maybe out of date on all issues.