Few hours on the Corvids - Barley and Wheat Harvest

RyanMc

Took an opportunity to get on the corvids at a local permission. I had noticed the corvids building in numbers even though another guy had shot 3 consecutive days the week preceding! Started off sorting the feeders out for the pheasant shoot a few miles away, after getting suitably wet and sweaty between the heavy morning dew and 20deg heat, then finished sighting the Howa 1500 223 in from a new scope base I hit the corvids, 50% of the field had been re-sown in barley during the year due to drainage issues and remedial river bank work and the remaining half combined.

I arrived at 1pm in +25deg direct sun and there were an estimated 300 on a 7acre patch mixed between the harvest portion and the remaining barley. I set up the hide on the fence line in front of the on larger piece of hedge left. set a few crow decoys out and x3 full bodied pigeons (I had noticed there were a few mixed in the main bunches of crows on arrival) and got the SX3 ready. I only took three boxes of 12g with me, Hull Superfast Pigeon #6 29gram. Seem to do the job well!

Even walking between the car and the hide 20 yards away they were decoying!!! I spent 1.5hrs out there and took 39 mixed Corvids and three pigeons, I had a number of misses but also a few nice three for three hits and  a four for three shots in there which helped the average. Worked out an average ration of 2:1, only my second day on the decoys this year and the sun in my eyes 😉, that's my excuse out of the way!

39 picked, x3 pigeons picked and home, cooled down and took the .223 out on the foxes that night x1 vixen down at the pheasant shoot, near the pen to round off a busy but productive day!

Hi Jall25,

Thanks for the reply, its the location that poses the problem, usually smaller fields with house fairly close, I would need to use an air rifle until an decent hour of the day. i tend to find the late afternoon/evening is good where I am and doesn't come with the hassle of making noise at ungodly hours.

Any idea why this was moved from Talk from the Field? 

On 12/09/2023 at 11:34, Centrepin said:

Because it mentions crow not pigeon and some mods are pedantic with moving threads on corvid. Pigeon Watch 😁

But I was in a field and talking of tales from the field 😁

Same for me, could do an hour at around 7-8pm, earliest would be 9am and I don't know if it would feel right even at that time.

On 12/09/2023 at 10:11, RyanMc said:

Hi Jall25,

Thanks for the reply, its the location that poses the problem, usually smaller fields with house fairly close, I would need to use an air rifle until an decent hour of the day. i tend to find the late afternoon/evening is good where I am and doesn't come with the hassle of making noise at ungodly hours.

Any idea why this was moved from Talk from the Field? 

👍

4 hours ago, RyanMc said:

But I was in a field and talking of tales from the field 😁

Same for me, could do an hour at around 7-8pm, earliest would be 9am and I don't know if it would feel right even at that time.

Wont be long until its not light in the morning until 8 am