What happened to all the bonfires?

Nublue 22

Following on from @Minky's tale of the wasp nest, when I was a teenager the back lawn was troubled with molehills, so I determined to smoke the moles out using chlorate weedkiller mixed with sulphur and coaldust (I don’t know why either). This was poured down the hole, ignited, and a brick put over to seal it. I saw fumes drifting out at the far end of the lawn, then WHUMP, the lawn seemed to lift an inch or two as (I assume) the coal gas ignited.

No more molehills, but the lawn turned a funny yellow and never really recovered.

Edited by amateur

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, bottletopbill said:

Star blue anchor black boy  or white swan and  crayfish robing hood and the partridge plus most i have forgot there names.

Oakmore gardens always had a big fire.   

Ha ha that’s the ones also the bridge house and the seven stiles  my old man had an English flag that he brought back from Italy after the war and that was given to the publican in the swan on one hazy drunken night 

Edited by nobbyathome
More info

Used to drink in the white swan  and my brother played for the darts team. 

Lived  across the path from the seven stiles now flats may have drunk with you dad as done the rounds from 1975 onwards.  Just remembered were the bridge house was  opposite Nugent  now feeling my age 66yrs 

Edited by bottletopbill

On 24/10/2023 at 15:12, amateur said:

Following on from @Minky's tale of the wasp nest, when I was a teenager the back lawn was troubled with molehills, so I determined to smoke the moles out using chlorate weedkiller mixed with sulphur and coaldust (I don’t know why either). This was poured down the hole, ignited, and a brick put over to seal it. I saw fumes drifting out at the far end of the lawn, then WHUMP, the lawn seemed to lift an inch or two as (I assume) the coal gas ignited.

No more molehills, but the lawn turned a funny yellow and never really recovered.

Haha. Sulphur,, haha... One year the wasps decided to make a  massive and aggressive nest behind an air brick at ground level in mothers house.  I  couldn't see any  effective way to deal with the problem.  Then DING,,,, I had a plan.   I had found a few sticks of sulphur (something to do with drying hops years ago)  and there were a few planks about 8ft long left over from a job.  So I used 3 planks to form a tunnel to the air brick. At the other end I made a small fire of sticks and grated some of the sulphur stick onto the fire.  I  fanned the fire up to full chat with a bit of ply.  Vast amounts of thick toxic yellow smoke went into the air brick and as wasps came back trying to get anywhere near the air brick they just fell out of the air onto the ground ,,, dead,  stone dead.  After a couple of minutes I  took the planks away and put the fire out.  The Wasp problem was eradicated but so was the grass on  the  lawn,!  The sulphur had turned the grass bright yellow stripe.  Mother was not best pleased by the yellow stripe from the fire scorched site of the fire to the air brick and the stink of sulphur in  the house.  I  opened all of the house windows, got a spade and dug the yellow landing strip out, got the garden hose and blasted the soil,  found some spare turf and replaced this to make good. Mother said that the cure was worse than the problem.   Still needs must when the devil drives. The wasps were no more, Mother survived the sulphur, the lawn recovered. = result.

Edited by Minky