Rifle case tumbling.

I have a lyman turbo dry tumbler, and a cheapo chinese wet rotary tumbler, they both do the job, but the stainless media that came with the cheap chinese one rusts. So better media for wet tumblers is needed.

I also use a food dehydrator to dry the cases after wet tumbling.

My go to is the dry tumbler, less faffing about.

Depends what you mean by clean.

A dry vibratory cleaner polishes the outside of the case, does very little to the primer pockets and inside the case. Also loads the media (walnut or corn) with lead and spreads it through the air. The media also tends to plug the  flash hole.

A Lyman I had burnt out the motor after a couple of years. So did my RCBS but they sent me a new motor. My Cabelas unit has lasted the longest so far.

Then there is ultrasonic cleaning. Cleans OK but doesn't "polish". Those dental units on eBay work well enough.

And then there is wet rotary tumbling with stainless steel media.

This is my preferred option even though it is a little more tedious.

This cleans and polishes inside and out and keeps the lead residues suspended in the liquid not blowing all around your garage or shed.

The cheap eBay versions work OK for small quantities. The timer electronics burnt out after only a couple of uses but was easy enough to rewire.

What I use almost exclusively now is the large **** (Frankfort Arsenal Rotary Tumbler). Has worked flawlessly for years now and I reload a LOT.

The ss pins that come with the **** are a bit on the small side and will get stuck in flash holes ocassionally. I bought a slightly larger size (Gun Nutz ??) and that problem went away.

Thanks for your replies so far guys.

I have used the rifle so far for Deerstalking and pest control but i am dipping my toes into target shooting.

So i am possibly going to be reloading much more than i currently do, possibly going for more consistency from the loads too.

It would seem based upon that, the wet tumbling method with steel pins is the better option. i had a quick google and the wet tumbling systems use a cleaning solution as well as the pins.

Of course i would expect that the solution will need replacing periodically depending upon use? or do you have to change the cleaning solution with every use?

Thanks!

39 minutes ago, Gonna Shoot a Wabbit said:

Thanks for your replies so far guys.

I have used the rifle so far for Deerstalking and pest control but i am dipping my toes into target shooting.

So i am possibly going to be reloading much more than i currently do, possibly going for more consistency from the loads too.

It would seem based upon that, the wet tumbling method with steel pins is the better option. i had a quick google and the wet tumbling systems use a cleaning solution as well as the pins.

Of course i would expect that the solution will need replacing periodically depending upon use? or do you have to change the cleaning solution with every use?

Thanks!

I use a mix of soda chrystals, dishwasher tablets and washing up liquid (very small amount) to clean my cases. Depending on the amount (usually 100-150 cases) I leave the wet tumbler on for approx 2hrs. I am more concerned that the inside of the case/primer pocket is clean, rather than them looking shiny. As mentioned, sometimes, after drying them, I put them in my Lyman 1200 cleaner which really puts a good shine on them.

Edited by steve_b_wales

The cleaning solution is discarded after each use. There are commercial solutions available but making your own is easy and much cheaper.

A google search is your friend but basically any detergent and a bit of added citric acid initially then a rinse in ArmorAll car wash (helps to prevent tarnishing later).

I use a generic shower cleaner that contains citric acid and surfactant, about 50 ml per load and run for 2 -3 hours depending on how dirty the cases are.

After a final rinse and separating cases from pins the wet cases go into a big flannel pillow case which dries the outside of the cases preventing water spotting and depending on the weather the pillow case then  sits over a heating duct overnight or on the dash of the car in the sun.

If you place a strong magnet in the pillow case it will pick up any errant pins.

• 3 weeks later...