10 gauge chokes

dob

Hi guys , can anyone tell me how to work out the chokes on my 10 gauge sxs shotgun , the choke stamps on the barrels read 19.5 on both , any clues would be great as I will have to think about using steel soon so need to know what my chokes are . Thankyou 

773877BF-B6A2-4F68-BF22-BC76350EC7BF.jpeg

22 minutes ago, dob said:

Hi guys , can anyone tell me how to work out the chokes on my 10 gauge sxs shotgun , the choke stamps on the barrels read 19.5 on both , any clues would be great as I will have to think about using steel soon so need to know what my chokes are . Thankyou 

773877BF-B6A2-4F68-BF22-BC76350EC7BF.jpeg

The star is the choke mark and it is full and full on my understanding, unless they have been bored out and only a gunsmith will tell you that. Where you go from here is a matter for you. I would certainly have it checked and if still full ….. it’s up to you what you put through it in the knowledge that the recommendation is max half for steel.

As Dave said, take it to a gunsmith who has bore and choke gauges and can measure the choke restriction vs bore size. That's the only way to truly measure the choke. The stars are what chokes were bored when the gun was made but they may have been altered since. Plus I have seen many chokes that are stamped something and measure tighter. Spanish .410's in particular.