Sxs stock cleaning

Skip66

This gun is 100 years old. Stock is really dark in places,so I would like to clean the dirt off . Could anyone recommend the process and cleaners required . I've got some ballistol ,legia spray etc,but I don't think it's going to be effective in cleaning,maybe wrong on that though. I'm not trying to take the finish off,rather just to bring the beauty back if that makes sense. Thank you in Advance. 

IMG_20200805_224937_473.jpg

Without seeing it, it's a bit difficult, but you won't do any harm if you start with some 0000 grade steel wool and some alkanet root oil. Apply a THIN coat of oil, then rub the stock in circular movements, stay clear of the chequering. Allow to dry overnight and repeat the process daily, until you have obtained the finish you require. IF it is gun oil that has soaked into the wood, then that presents its own difficulties and would need a bit more work. Use an old toothbrush and some white spirit to clean the chequering.  Finally apply a good stock oil, Trade Secrets or CCL both make some excellent products.  There are several videos on YouTube you could watch too.

Steel wool comes with the risk of small bits sticking in the oil and causing discolouring to the wood, better to use extra fine scotchbrite pads.

If it was mine I would do an initial wipe over with a cloth just dampened with white spirit to see how much ‘dirt’ you can remove, and for the chequering a wooden toothpick dipped in white spirit.