Ferrets aint just good on bunnies and rats.

supergame

An old keeper mate of mine had a deadly way of shooting crows.  He used his favourite over weight hob ferret as a wind up for corvids.

He simply put the big fat hob on a lead and collar and attached this to a stake 25-30 yards from his hide and waited for the crows to spot the ferret. When a crow or magpie spotted old Oscar bobbing about they would flock to him and go bats.

The crows and magpies were then shot one after the other totally oblivious to to the hide and its contents.

Is this method legal.  Dont see why not because a ferret is a pet and you are entitled to harness a ferret, its not like you are harnessing another corvid.

Deako is quite correct, its VERY illegal.

I discovered corvids fascination with ferrets, quite by accident.

I was rabbiting one day, using two ferrets and one of them came out of a bolt hole, some distance from the main earths.

The first thing I knew about this, was when three magpies started jumping around the trees, 20 yards along the bank, squaking their heads off.

They then proceeded to "dive-bomb" the jill.

Even after I picked her up, they still hung around squaking.

Unfortunately, I never carried a gun when I was ferreting with nets.

Wish I had a ferret to try it with. My last one got carried away by a crow years ago :) god knows where he is know.  

Thought it may be illegal. All the most effective methods of pest control usually are.  

I pressume that a ferret used in this way would be classed as a live decoy.

The stuffed fox certainly has nothing on my keeper mates old oscar.  I'm sure the crows could smell the old *****r  miles away they flocked in from the next county.  

Poor old oscar is no longer with us either, heard he was carried away by a flock of delinquent magpies   :)  :)

Perhaps, if you were out ferreting and were in the habit of carrying your ferret in a wire cage about the same size as a larsen trap, you might put it down somewhere while you had your naaffi break. While sitting under the hedge enjoying your munchies with a gun by your side, you might happen to shoot a crow that was flying by. You would, of course, have all your other ferreting gear alongside you, ready to start again after eating.  :)

Wildlife and Countryside Act section 5(1) (d)

It is an offence to use as a decoy to kill or take any wild bird, any sound recording or a live bird or animal which is tethered, secured, blind, maimed or injured.

I see an unexploited niche in the decoy market for a battery operated dancing ferret  :)  flock coated of course :)

I would feel confident standing in the Magistrate's Court arguing the ferret is caged and not secured.  'Secured' carries inferrence of attached to prevent movement and the ferret can move quite freely around the constraints of the periphery of its cage.  Your Honour, to imply the ferret it secured in the cage would surely give inferrence that all things are secured within the boundaries on gravity and sodern scientific belief.  If all things were viewed as secured by the boundaries of post mordernistic belief we would need no jails - where is the point in securing the secured?  This interpretative loophole means that, whilst you could be found guilty, you'd have a good arguement in your defence   :)

I'd opt for a Norton trial - you admit the offence but strive to show you were acting in good faith in your own belief of how the law is interpreted   :)  :)

That closes the case for the Defence M'Lud!! :)  :)

Why risk the bad publicity, the chance of losing your case in court, a fine, etc. etc.?

A decoy owl mounted on a pole, a teddy bear with big glass eyes, a cut open rabbit, some eggs, plus lots of other methods, are just as effective, with none of the above risks.

I accept that some of the "tethered ferret" comments, have been made in jest, but be aware that not everybody would understand that.

My father and his family used to tether 2 call ducks about 20 yards apart in the dark so that they would quack to each other and give wild flocks the false confidence to swim nearer the shore for a potshot.

The call ducks were a spanish type, I believe.

The call ducks although white, were occassionally shot by other pothunters creeping about in the dark.

This practice is probably what the legislation is aimed at.

As correctly stated by other members this would be ilegal, as for the using animal sounds, I also agree it is ilegal, but as some people like to listen to rock and clasic, I have seen myself on a nice night going out with rifle and personal cd player with a portable pocket amp, so I can listen to these calls and try to emulate them with my mouth call, the results I have had are unreal, firstly I get every owl from 3 miles around converging on me, then as per a regular basis charlie comes in hot pursuit of my top 20 charts countdown, unfortunately he never gets to hear the the current No 1

It took me 3 nights to compile this CD, took a lot of searching.

Hope I havent ofended anyone

Ok aboout this robo ferret! Does anyone know of the childs toy which is a little dog which walks for a bit then jumps then walks and then barks??? Well the do exist and im sure form the air maybe look like a bunny or a ferret and with the dog im sure you could take the squeeky bit out.....Im gonna try.  reynard895 You offended me, the only way i'll forgive you is a copy of the offending cd :laugh:  :)  :)  :)  :laugh: