LOCAL AUTHORITY CAP

DUNKS

Hi anyone heard of the new £86,000 cap that LA can take when you go into permanent care? 

Care home is telling my sister who will have to go into permanent care that LA can now only take £86,000 out of her estate instead of an un limited amount as before. Anyone else here involved in this ?

14 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Hi anyone heard of the new £86,000 cap that LA can take when you go into permanent care? 

Care home is telling my sister who will have to go into permanent care that LA can now only take £86,000 out of her estate instead of an un limited amount as before. Anyone else here involved in this ?

Yes, I’m not sure it’s gone through yet, it was in the Government white paper. 

As usual though the sneaky (insert swear words here) have done it to win votes and not help you, as the devil is in the detail. 

My last reading of the paper made it apparent that they only counter a small part of the costs as “care” and classed the vast majority of your care home fees as “accommodation”. 

So when you go into a care home costing £1600+ a week (like my great aunt just has) they’ll only class about £2-300 as care, therefore it’ll take ages to hit the cap, and you’ll keep paying for “accommodation” once you’ve hit the limit. 

I just quickly found some info, here it is, looks like it starts from October 2023. 

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/628ba6cad3bf7f1f487b7488/paying-for-your-care-a-lifetime-cap-on-care-costs-easy-read-v2-may2022.pdf

I believe this same proposal crashes Theresa May’s government. 

Johnson pushed the legislation through as a bundle / package deal with a load of covid legislation and it hardly got any news coverage at all. 

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

Yes, I’m not sure it’s gone through yet, it was in the Government white paper. 

As usual though the sneaky (insert swear words here) have done it to win votes and not help you, as the devil is in the detail. 

My last reading of the paper made it apparent that they only counter a small part of the costs as “care” and classed the vast majority of your care home fees as “accommodation”. 

So when you go into a care home costing £1600+ a week (like my great aunt just has) they’ll only class about £2-300 as care, therefore it’ll take ages to hit the cap, and you’ll keep paying for “accommodation” once you’ve hit the limit. 

I just quickly found some info, here it is, looks like it starts from October 2023. 

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/628ba6cad3bf7f1f487b7488/paying-for-your-care-a-lifetime-cap-on-care-costs-easy-read-v2-may2022.pdf

I believe this same proposal crashes Theresa May’s government. 

Johnson pushed the legislation through as a bundle / package deal with a load of covid legislation and it hardly got any news coverage at all. 

Blimy pushing legislation through on a bad news day who would have guessed it !

wages and energy bills in care homes are going through the roof ! Costs for care are only going to head upwards!

Agriv8

1 hour ago, Agriv8 said:

Blimy pushing legislation through on a bad news day who would have guessed it !

wages and energy bills in care homes are going through the roof ! Costs for care are only going to head upwards!

Agriv8

So are profits, but that’s what you get when you want private industry to run the care sector. 

If you had millions of pounds to invest you simply need to have a very good level of return, especially when investing in an industry that’s got so much bother, red tape and risk. 

True Lloyd a  local care home provider has just converted their third or fourth huge property and it’s just about full !

as for the million pounds to invest not likley as local authority employee !

how the little one ?

16 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

So are profits, but that’s what you get when you want private industry to run the care sector. 

If you had millions of pounds to invest you simply need to have a very good level of return, especially when investing in an industry that’s got so much bother, red tape and risk. 

Edited by Agriv8

1 minute ago, Agriv8 said:

True Lloyd a  local care home provider has just converted their third or fourth huge property and it’s just about full !

as for the million pounds to invest not likley as local authority employee !

how the little one ?

Little ones mostly good thank you, certainly a life changer 🤣👍🏻

Just now, Lloyd90 said:

Little ones mostly good thank you, certainly a life changer 🤣👍🏻

Yep blink a few times and they will be 17 ( seems only a couple of years ago since my eldest was born ) and now he knows everything. Enjoy and look forward to learning this parenting job . But word of warning training a spaniel is a lot easier !

atb agriv8

27 minutes ago, Agriv8 said:

Yep blink a few times and they will be 17 ( seems only a couple of years ago since my eldest was born ) and now he knows everything. Enjoy and look forward to learning this parenting job . But word of warning training a spaniel is a lot easier !

atb agriv8

I blinked and mines 2.5yrvold now, chatting to Lloyd as need him to come beating but something about daddy day care hehe.. won't be long until he will have his side kick spotting for him.

1 hour ago, ShootingEgg said:

I blinked and mines 2.5yrvold now, chatting to Lloyd as need him to come beating but something about daddy day care hehe.. won't be long until he will have his side kick spotting for him.

My other one is the one who has just started beating with grandad second season ( flanking and holding in really but hey that how most of us start?) on our small shoot.

Youngest likes telling everyone who listens how good elevens’ are and that sometimes he’s allowed a nip of sloe gin !

he’s already getting gun safe with the .410 at the clay ground 

It’s crazy that I still remember doing the same with my grandad nearly 50 years ago - the unique smell of a musty landrover, wet labour- and smouldering pipe with cherry tobacco! 

enjoy being out beating and shooting but don’t miss em growing up !

Agriv8

1 hour ago, Agriv8 said:

My other one is the one who has just started beating with grandad second season ( flanking and holding in really but hey that how most of us start?) on our small shoot.

Youngest likes telling everyone who listens how good elevens’ are and that sometimes he’s allowed a nip of sloe gin !

he’s already getting gun safe with the .410 at the clay ground 

It’s crazy that I still remember doing the same with my grandad nearly 50 years ago - the unique smell of a musty landrover, wet labour- and smouldering pipe with cherry tobacco! 

enjoy being out beating and shooting but don’t miss em growing up !

Agriv8

Same as I was with my grandad, out with the 22 and 410 plinking and rabbit shooting. And you're right they grow up fast, blink and you miss it...