Gedney wildfowlers

Hi, 

new member of Gedney wildfowlers this season. I’m hoping for a bit of time off through the Christmas break, and the first week of January. Is there anyone that would possibly let me tag along with them for a flight or two? I have a dog and previous wildfowling experience just never at Gedney. Happy to exchange a bottle of something in return, 
thanks! 

Edited by contrysports

1 hour ago, contrysports said:

Hi, 

new member of Gedney wildfowlers this season. I’m hoping for a bit of time off through the Christmas break, and the first week of January. Im planning on making a trip to Norfolk, Is there anyone that would possibly let me tag along with them for a flight or two? I have a dog and previous wildfowling experience just never at Gedney. Happy to exchange a bottle of something in return,
thanks! 

You could ask the question on their Facebook page I am sure someone would oblige 👍

As Pushandpull. Contact one of the club official members who would sort you someone to guide take you out. Failing that do a flight off a gradgebank ( as you are not allowed to shoot from the seawall ) then explore the area after flight is over. Don't ever cross a creek you can't step over be very aware of tides . Gate 4 and 5 offer very easy access onto the marsh but be very aware those two areas will flood behind you on decent tides ( not for the inexperienced wildfowler ) . IMHO you are far better learning the marsh yourself than being guided because a few years ago ( not saying you would do this) i took a member out who would have had a excellent flight had he shot well. The very next i noticed two lights up down across and back in the marsh . Although not a big tide where these two was walking about i knew they would be safe but stuck on the marsh. After my successful flight I walked within 20 yards of guess who Yep the novice I'd taken out the previous morning now with his mate. After I'd given them a good talking to i guided them to a point with care, chestwaders and plenty nerve you could wader this creek to my side  and just to make a point i made them wade two more Creeks wet absolutely covered in mud back at the vehicle the one I'd guided the morning before admitted he was desperate to get at the Geese and thought he knew enough after one flight oh really First he had walked right instead of left. Then crossed creeks he could not step over got lost and was walking around in circles. Had he taken notice of the previous morning walk left etc you don't even step over a creek. No life is worth a Goose or Duck respect the tides weather and marsh at all times. 

Excellent advise from someone who know the grounds as well as anyone from around those parts , the tides can change in an instant and what should be a neap tide can quickly become a flood tide with the height of the top of the tide being double the predicted level , this can be fatal even with someone who know the ground well , our tides are gentle compared with the tides up in North Norfolk and the Wash .

I lived on what was classed an island for well over 60 years and even at a tender age of 6 I knew what a flood tide could do after having over 5ft of muddy salt water in our living room after the 1953 tidal surge down the East coast , since that fateful day the sea defences have been raised but I have lost count of how many flood warnings we have had over the years , one I can remember was when my wife rang me up at work and said the police have been knocking on the doors to warn people of a very hide tide which could top the sea defence , I came home and went up to our boat shed where our gun punts were kept in to see if they were all right , I knew the tide was high but when I went round the corner I couldn't believe it , the tide was above the doors where we pushed the boats out and two feet up the front doors , so what should had been a 6ft tide on a normal day this tide was on top of the last tide and was easily 16ft plus , as luck would have it the wind dropped and we only just got away with it , but now with all these extreme weather conditions you would need to be ultra careful when out shooting on the salt marshes beyond the sea wall .   Take care everyone     MM

Edited by marsh man

1 hour ago, contrysports said:

Thank you for the reply’s, that’s the only reason I’m a bit cautious on my own is for not knowing the tides. I think I’ll call over and have a sit and watch walk the ground and figure a few things out like you said by myself. 
thanks!

If you let me know when you are thinking of going I'll check tides and weather for you and point you in a safe easy direction for you to have a flight. Well done for asking questions rather than going blind and getting in trouble. 👍

Many years ago, I nearly lost my life, out with an 'expert' on Southport Marsh. "Just another few minutes and the geese will rise" (pushed off by the incoming tide), I will NEVER forget those words  !  The tide filled the breast pocket of my Solway Zipper jacket. 2 weeks later, 2 Fowlers did lose their lives.