INEOS Grenadier

On 28/01/2024 at 20:19, Arley said:

Shoot host has one, first time out in the field drove through a frozen splash a piece of ice boke the flimsy plastic grill, ice then pierced the radiator!!!!

Car towed away with no time frame for repair, the owner not happy shortage of parts

I bet he is a tad brassed off especially as they are supposed to be more rufty tufty than the old Defender. I know of someone who has one who has clocked up a reasonable amount of on road miles. He has had issues with door seals letting in water and I believe is still waiting for certain software updates but seems happy with it. I'm still not convinced enough to want to spend that sort of money although it seems dealers have unsold stock in hand so prices have dropped.

On 30/01/2024 at 17:12, Miserableolgit said:

I bet he is a tad brassed off especially as they are supposed to be more rufty tufty than the old Defender. I know of someone who has one who has clocked up a reasonable amount of on road miles. He has had issues with door seals letting in water and I believe is still waiting for certain software updates but seems happy with it. I'm still not convinced enough to want to spend that sort of money although it seems dealers have unsold stock in hand so prices have dropped.

That would be an understatement!! 

Another lad who i take days shooting with has had the one for 6 months, issues with the rear wiper not working, leaking door seals and main beam head lights, he is also not happy with the mpg and the turning circle, he would chop it in but lots of them appearing on the used car market and he only uses it as a shoot vehicle, he plans to wait until the new land cruiser comes out to change it then

Just to counter new Defender being a better option for the money. JLR have a deal with some police units that patrol over rough terrain. They are all currently driving round in french white vans as all the JLR vehicles provided are currently in the garage... For me reliability is the most important factor, capability or comfort is if no use if you can't trust it to work when you need it.

Just now, bigroomboy said:

Just to counter new Defender being a better option for the money. JLR have a deal with some police units that patrol over rough terrain. They are all currently driving round in french white vans as all the JLR vehicles provided are currently in the garage... For me reliability is the most important factor, capability or comfort is if no use if you can't trust it to work when you need it.

From what I have heard - part of the problem is not so much the 'unreliability', but the complete shambles around parts delivery.

Two friends with recent JLR vehicles (a Jaguar F pace, and a Discovery) have both had LONG waits for parts.  The Jaguar is un-drivable stuck at the dealership and hence the owner has had a loan car (Audi Q7) until his can get fixed under warranty.  This has been over 3 months now.  the Discovery has had a legion of failures around the rear light clusters, which appear to have failed (LED) bulbs, but apparently the whole assemblies have to be changed (at over £600 each on warranty).  He has been driving it as the lights seem to work mainly OK, but keep reporting failures through the computer display.  It had a long wait for parts and has now been fixed.

I understand all JLR products may have parts availability problems - obviously depending of what part is needed and when.

6 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

From what I have heard - part of the problem is not so much the 'unreliability', but the complete shambles around parts delivery.

Two friends with recent JLR vehicles (a Jaguar F pace, and a Discovery) have both had LONG waits for parts.  The Jaguar is un-drivable stuck at the dealership and hence the owner has had a loan car (Audi Q7) until his can get fixed under warranty.  This has been over 3 months now.  the Discovery has had a legion of failures around the rear light clusters, which appear to have failed (LED) bulbs, but apparently the whole assemblies have to be changed (at over £600 each on warranty).  He has been driving it as the lights seem to work mainly OK, but keep reporting failures through the computer display.  It had a long wait for parts and has now been fixed.

I understand all JLR products may have parts availability problems - obviously depending of what part is needed and when.

They probably should have kept more production in the UK then where they would have had better control over parts availability. I mean in all likelihood one is caused in part by the other. If you have a high rate of parts failure then you have a higher demand for parts outside the production schedule and the cycle continues.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, chrisv said:

Looks good. Significantly cheaper than the Grenadier as well.

Another good review here 

I believe they are actually quite hard to actually obtain and neither price nor delivery is yet 'fixed'.  Engine (only one choice, diesel) seems to be the same as the outgoing (2020 - 23) model in that it is the higher output version of the 1GD-FTV engine as per the current HiLux.  Unfortunately they all have to have DPF and AdBlu gubbins on.

The 'new' price for a Grenadier with very few options gets close to £80K.  Not sure what the new Land Cruiser will actually cost, but the 'top model' (Invincible) outgoing C150 was around £65K - and virtually everything came as standard.  The other problem (for me) is that they have dropped the idea of doing a "90 equivalent" and so you end up with a "110 equivalent" which is a big vehicle.

Edited by JohnfromUK

• 4 weeks later...

I see the new (J250) Land Cruiser prices for the UK were announced yesterday. https://media.toyota.co.uk/the-all-new-toyota-land-cruiser-uk-model-range-and-pricing-announced/

Looks like as well as being significantly more expensive than the last model (where a list price for an Invincible spec (the old top version) was around £65K).

The 'new' Invincible (the only non limited edition trim announced so far) will be £10K more.  There is also a limited edition "First Edition" that is £80K.

From what I read, UK deliveries will commence around September, but allocations are sold out for some time forward, with all First Edition models sold pre release.  In Australia there is said to be a year or more lead time for orders placed now.

It's not stated what (if any) lower trim or short wheel base models will be made - or whether they will come to the UK.  A number of Toyota's heavier duty SUV and 4x4 models are not sold in the UK or Europe - apparently due to emission/economy regulations.