New toy.

Scully

Absolutely chuffed to bits with this! 
Classic Doubles 101 multi choked trap gun. 
Haven’t had chance to shoot it yet, but that will change on Saturday on last day of our syndicates season! 
Was hoping the weather would stay hard til then but looks like we’re going to get wet. 
image.jpeg.c26b9457e39a1c2856fabbb2bbb5a8a8.jpeg

Cracking gun Scully. I’m a fan myself I’ve a classic doubles grade 2 field model that I’ve fitted with an extra cvc high flyer trap/pigeon stock and an Adrib high rib . I haven’t patterned it yet but it performed well on rabbit clays so not shooting too high.

3D2F0008-1513-4558-A702-E0E17930193A.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Konor said:

Cracking gun Scully. I’m a fan myself I’ve a classic doubles grade 2 field model that I’ve fitted with an extra cvc high flyer trap/pigeon stock and an Adrib high rib . I haven’t patterned it yet but it performed well on rabbit clays so not shooting too high.

3D2F0008-1513-4558-A702-E0E17930193A.jpeg

Very nice! I wasn’t aware you can retro fit a high rib! Good to know. Every days a school day. 👍

Cracking wood Westley. That’s my game stock on the right They are a lot of gun for the money and I think used by AJ “Smoker” Smith at International level.

73212251-E366-4195-9908-4AB3B5044375.jpeg

Edited by Konor

18 minutes ago, Westley said:

Lovely gun, now if you ever consider selling that stock............   😀 

20230829_173748.jpg

20230829_174016.jpg

20230829_173959.jpg

20230829_173710.jpg

Mine came with 2 sets of woodwork. 

Thank you, but so is yours. 
As for the stock, anytime you want to seek your trap woodwork ( and that box! ) let me know. 😄👍

3 minutes ago, Konor said:

Cracking wood Westley. That’s my game stock on the left. They are a lot of gun for the money and I think used by AJ “Smoker” Smith at International level.

73212251-E366-4195-9908-4AB3B5044375.jpeg

That really is very nice wood. 
Close ups of mine: 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Scully said:

Very nice! I wasn’t aware you can retro fit a high rib! Good to know. Every days a school day. 👍

The cvc Connecticut Valley Classics were the last classic doubles. Made in America on the old 101 machinery. The high flyer cvc stock which I managed to source in USA was designed to be shot with barrels with a high rib. When fitted to my Classic doubles I was seeing an uncomfortable amount of rib but it shot around 80/20. I sourced the rib from a gentleman on guntrader who was selling it on a Winchester trap gun. It fits on with magnets and lowers the point of impact. I find it harder to use on driven birds ,due to unfamiliarity I think, but will persevere. I like it for crossers and angled birds though.

Nice wood Scully I’ve been a fan of the 101 for a long time now. I couldn’t afford one when they first came out they were dear guns especially in the higher grades but I’m pleased I’ve managed to lay my hands on one now.

Edited by Konor

8 minutes ago, Konor said:

The cvc Connecticut Valley Classics were the last classic doubles. Made in America on the old 101 machinery. The high flyer cvc stock which I managed to source in USA was designed to be shot with barrels with a high rib. When fitted to my Classic doubles I was seeing an uncomfortable amount of rib but it shot around 80/20. I sourced the rib from a gentleman on guntrader who was selling it on a Winchester trap gun. It fits on with magnets and lowers the point of impact. I find it harder to use on driven birds ,due to unfamiliarity I think, but will persevere. I like it for crossers and angled birds though.

Nice wood Scully I’ve been a fan of the 101 for a long time now. I couldn’t afford one when they first came out they were dear guns especially in the higher grades but I’m pleased I’ve managed to lay my hands on one now.

Very interesting; may look into that. Thank you. 
Ditto. It was for some years I was in the same boat, and the discontinuation of the 101 guns before they became affordable to me. 
My first was a very loose beaver-tailed short stocked lightweight, but it was a 101 so I was elated! Have had many since then, of most models, and now have 3 again! 
They are more than capable of even HP steel shot in my experience, although the GE can be a tad punchy with heavy loads, and I see no need to alter any of mine, let alone sell. 

2 hours ago, Scully said:

Very interesting; may look into that. Thank you. 
Ditto. It was for some years I was in the same boat, and the discontinuation of the 101 guns before they became affordable to me. 
My first was a very loose beaver-tailed short stocked lightweight, but it was a 101 so I was elated! Have had many since then, of most models, and now have 3 again! 
They are more than capable of even HP steel shot in my experience, although the GE can be a tad punchy with heavy loads, and I see no need to alter any of mine, let alone sell. 

With multichokes and 3 inch chambering they are a useful shotgun and they handle well. A lightly used one is definitely to be prized.

Edit to add You are doing a grand job on the stock Westley 👍

Edited by Konor

11 minutes ago, Westley said:

Still a work in progress on the Sporter stock.

I remember someone at Manchester Gun Club selling those magnetic ribs a few years ago. Great thing was they could be moved from gun to gun, if required. 

20231013_161040.jpg

20231013_161023.jpg

Looks grand. A mate is a big fan of that ‘ slippery ****’ product. Cant say I’ve ever used it. 

1 minute ago, Konor said:

With multichokes and 3 inch chambering they are a useful shotgun and they handle well. A lightly used one is definitely to be prized. 

Indeed they are. 👍

10 minutes ago, wisdom said:

What a belter of a gun.I have a 101 diamond grade and absolutely love it.

Good choice. Any pics?

Ive had three DG’s over the years, and once bought a cased and mint sleeper, sight unseen from Avalon Guns. It was a GD, I’d owned one before, and for all intents and purposes brand new! What could possibly be wrong with it? 🤔😄

When I picked it up from a local dealer the logo’d case looked unused, and the gun itself was as sharp and as mint as the day it was made, but the wood was orange, bordering on ‘babies yellow’! 
It had to go unfortunately, so traded it for another older model, but with exhibition wood. 
Incidentally, I put HP steel through it on a regular basis, back in the days when I didn’t know I couldn’t! Turns out you can. 👍

8 minutes ago, Konor said:

I used the ccl oil finish kit on my field stock. It took a while but thankfully came up well.

That is what I shall be using, but at present I'm using my homemade Alkanet root oil. Once I have the right colouring,  then I shall finish it with CCI. Problem being, I can’t stop using the gun. I shoot well with it. One advantage that being a Trap-Pac, it has an Allen headed stock key, which facilitates stock removal.

Edited by Westley

6 minutes ago, Scully said:

Good choice. Any pics?

Ive had three DG’s over the years, and once bought a cased and mint sleeper, sight unseen from Avalon Guns. It was a GD, I’d owned one before, and for all intents and purposes brand new! What could possibly be wrong with it? 🤔😄

When I picked it up from a local dealer the logo’d case looked unused, and the gun itself was as sharp and as mint as the day it was made, but the wood was orange, bordering on ‘babies yellow’! 
It had to go unfortunately, so traded it for another older model, but with exhibition wood. 
Incidentally, I put HP steel through it on a regular basis, back in the days when I didn’t know I couldn’t! Turns out you can. 👍

I don't think I have but next outing I'll take some and post them here.

17 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Had quite a few Winchester 101s and Classic doubles and loved them. Looking back, I can't recall why I don't still have them. 

Yes, exactly the same Gordon, but I took the owner of my CD to Bamfords in 1990's to buy the gun. Anyway, he phoned me last August to say that he was selling the gun. He also had 360 cartridges. I offered to buy the cartridges. When I went to collect them and saw the gun, still with the original boxes, I had to buy it. The cartridges were left from the 1000 he bought with the gun. I am enjoying shooting it, so for now, it's staying.

15 hours ago, Westley said:

Still a work in progress on the Sporter stock.

I remember someone at Manchester Gun Club selling those magnetic ribs a few years ago. Great thing was they could be moved from gun to gun, if required. 

20231013_161040.jpg

20231013_161023.jpg

That looks absolutely stunning.I think my Winchester still has its polyurethane finish.

Would love to strip it and get an oil finish but best leave well alone I think.I do give it a regular treatment of the s******y **** stock wax.

37 minutes ago, wisdom said:

That looks absolutely stunning.I think my Winchester still has its polyurethane finish.

Would love to strip it and get an oil finish but best leave well alone I think.I do give it a regular treatment of the s******y **** stock wax.

I use this as a weather protector on my woodwork.  I apply it the night before, if rain is forecast for the day that I am shooting. It is great, no slip when wet, no whitening of the woodwork, and around £2 a can. One word of warning though,  I applied it to the gun stock in my kitchen, the overspray went onto the tiled floor, leading to my wife and I doing impressions of Torvill and Dean for the next month  !  BEWARE  !

20240110_094546.jpg