Casserole from the last pheasants of the season

JohnfromUK

Hunters Pheasant casserole.  A lazy man's meal. 

It is pheasant breasts from 1 brace, cooked in a casserole with onion, celery, carrot in Knorr stockpot stock - with a jar of Homepride Hunter's cooking sauce.  Made 5 servings - this is one, the others frozen.

Served with brown rice, cauliflower and peas. 

The Hunter's sauce (smoked paprika and tomato base I think) was rather too sweet for my tastes and needed a good splash or Worcestershire sauce to mitigate the sweetness, but it made an interesting variation to try.

FD8AEAF4-A7D3-4653-9024-AF788B1C537E_1_201_a.jpeg

26 minutes ago, yates said:

Looks great John but like you I would probably want a less sweet sauce

Thank you.  I like the smokiness of the Hunter's sauce and I think you could do the same based on passata, balsamic vinegar and smoked paprika, but I was lazy on this occasion.

15 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Looks good and I bet it tasted good too.   :good:

Great presentation as well.   :cool1:

Thank you.  It was good, but as above, I need to find a less sweet recipe, or make something with the tomato and smokiness, but much less sweet.

Just now, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I used to batch cook a tomato and garlic base sauce that could be gently turned in to hunters chicken, a mild curry for the family or a flash pasta accompaniment.

Yes, I do similar with a 'curry base gravy' (and keep in blocks in the freezer) for curries, but that has a lot of ginger and garlic that I'm not sure would work here.  It's a bit 'too Indian' without some toning down!

The main thing on this I'd like to keep is the smokiness that comes from smoked paprika, but that's a spice that can be overpowering unless used with care.  It's a very dominating flavour.  The rich smoky tomato flavour was nice with the rice and I'm sure would work with pasta (or chips!).  I think mash might go to a 'red mush'.

4 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Yes, I do similar with a 'curry base gravy' (and keep in blocks in the freezer) for curries, but that has a lot of ginger and garlic that I'm not sure would work here.  It's a bit 'too Indian' without some toning down!

The main thing on this I'd like to keep is the smokiness that comes from smoked paprika, but that's a spice that can be overpowering unless used with care.  It's a very dominating flavour.  The rich smoky tomato flavour was nice with the rice and I'm sure would work with pasta (or chips!).  I think mash might go to a 'red mush'.

I just start with onions and garlic and passata and some seasoning.

Everything else can go in when it has thawed out, part of the fun was experimenting and tuning things to the satisfaction of the family.

53 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I just start with onions and garlic and passata and some seasoning.

Yes, I think that's what I need to do.

53 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

part of the fun was experimenting and tuning things

Agreed.