Crabtree……again.

Scully

Had an early breakfast at our usual place and arrived at the ground before opening time, but the car park was fairly busy and shots could already be heard. 
We often have a trip out prior to beaters day just to freshen up as it were, but both of us had new to us guns, neither of which we had yet tried out on the clays. 
A quick brew and the craic with Jonty and his Dad, then up to the ‘butts’ layout furthest up the hill. 
A very badly weathered 1 dimensional ‘schematic’ of the six birds wasn’t much help and some of the birds came as a bit of a surprise, but nevertheless had good breaks on five of the six. Had a further two goes and missed the same bird each time. Mate had three rounds with his 20 and missed the same bird as me each time. We swapped guns and I missed two of the six, then much to his delight he straighted the stand ….with my gun!
🤬

Not having that! 😄 Had another go with mine and straighted the stand, and to make sure it wasn’t a fluke straighted it again! Phew! Just a tad too much lead. 
Shot the other stands on the way back down and ended up very pleased with the quality of the breaks; the snap shot rabbits were dust, but so they should have been as I doubt they were more than ten yds away.
I thought my other guns fitted, but the breaks with the CD were even better. 
Really pleased to see a couple of good sized groups of young uns of both sexes having a go, and some having one to one tuition. Good to see. 
Thats 100 shots fired, so another brew while mate swapped his Browning 20 for his new to him 12 bore Miroku 3800 trap, then down the hill this time. 
Stood and watched a couple of blokes on the ABT layout, the older one having what looked like a very nice high-rib Perazzi. Very smooth, sedate and good to watch, the elder only missing one bird. 
Had a bit craic when they’d finished. Turns out they were Father and son, the formers gun being a MX 2000(?) I think he said, the other being a Parker-Hale! Good to talk to. 
We moved on to the lower stands and it was obvious immediately that mates Miroku fitted him much better than the Browning.
He is a very good shot ( except on loopers….he hates loopers! 😄)  but the breaks he was getting with the Miroku were so much better.

The driven birds on the lower six bird stand seem much closer than the ‘butt’, and we had good fun with it before calling it a day. 
I thought Teague chokes were good, and I still do, and certainly wouldn’t feel short changed if denied others, but all the Briley Invectorx2 I’ve tried are simply superb. 
I shot 1/4 and 1/2 all day, and the breaks were very impressive indeed, and it’s not just this gun. I have a Briley 3/8ths in my auto, and the factory Benelli chokes stay in the drawer. 
I have a further three Briley chokes for this gun, two 3/8th Teague’s and a Muller. I’ll try them all at some point, but the current ones will stay for beaters day. 
If you haven’t tried Crabtree yet, and it’s remotely on your ‘doable’ radar, give it a go, I doubt you’ll be disappointed. 

Nearly went to Crabtree today too, but my Grandson had to work, so he was unable to go. We are out tomorrow instead.  I fully back what you say about Briley chokes, I have always preferred them to any other after market chokes. I am shooting 1/4 & 1/4 Briley flush chokes in my CD and as long as I do my bit, they are dusting targets at any sensible ranges.

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Scully sounds like fun, glad you are happy with the new gun.   :good:

Thank you TC. Yes, it’s a good ground. 
They've invested money in it over the years and it now has separate flushing toilets as opposed to the obligatory portaloo, a good clubhouse with a verandah where you can sit and chew the cud.
There are air rifle ranges with tuition if wanted, shotguns and tuition for groups or individuals, ABT with voice activated traps, and the same for DTL I think and about 20 sporting stands. 
It’s a good day out. 👍

It sounds like a fantastic morning but any clay shooting at the moment while not raining is a big bonus.

i have been clay shooting with my 16 bore side by side rather than switching gun between clay buster and game gun.

well done for having a freshen up before the big day don’t know why more done do it ! 

we are expecting a similar detailed report on beater day btw 

Agriv8

1 hour ago, Agriv8 said:

It sounds like a fantastic morning but any clay shooting at the moment while not raining is a big bonus.

i have been clay shooting with my 16 bore side by side rather than switching gun between clay buster and game gun.

well done for having a freshen up before the big day don’t know why more done do it ! 

we are expecting a similar detailed report on beater day btw 

Agriv8

Thanks. Will do. 👍