Hobbyweld Gas

Jonty

I have a question for anyone who uses hobbyweld gas - does the initial rental deposit for the cylinder get you a full cylinder or is there another charge for the gas on top? I’ve been looking at their website and also a couple of their dealer sites and it seems unclear to me - I was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience “

thanks

I was lucky enough to do a small welding job for a restaurant and as payment he gave me a spare CO2 bottle that was lying around. I just also happened to know a guy who will fill it for me on the quiet 🤫 

Might be an avenue worth exploring with your local pub

35 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

I was lucky enough to do a small welding job for a restaurant and as payment he gave me a spare CO2 bottle that was lying around. I just also happened to know a guy who will fill it for me on the quiet 🤫 

Hello, I used a Pub bottle for years, just buy CO2 guage that will fit the bottle thread and connect tube to mig welder, i also used an inline CO 2 heater, when empty the landlord i knew well just changed for me

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

3 hours ago, Rob85 said:

How long ago was this?

I was under the impression that

a) breweries especially had tightened up on this

b) the cylinders don't just contain CO2 anyway

And yes, to the OP's point, my hobbyweld cylinder was £70 deposit and about £36 to fill, from memory.

The market though is more competitive than it used to be, I would suggest really what you need is a supplier local to you, who opens on a Saturday!  Nothing worse than running out of gas mid-project and they're only open during business hours.

11 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

How long ago was this?

And yes, to the OP's point, my hobbyweld cylinder was £70 deposit and about £36 to fill, from memory.

The market though is more competitive than it used to be, I would suggest really what you need is a supplier local to you, who opens on a Saturday!  Nothing worse than running out of gas mid-project and they're only open during business hours.

Hello, That seems reasonable from Hobby weld once you pay for cylinder, saves messing about with CO 2 and it is not the best without a Heater Unit, which are expensive in UK, my use of a pub bottle was in the 1980s, 

1 hour ago, udderlyoffroad said:

How long ago was this?

From what I'm aware the dispensing gas is nothing to do with the breweries themselves, unless its a special type of pumping equipment. The brewery will deliver the product in the big silver kegs and then a company like BOC will deliver the dispensing cylinders. this was about 6yrs ago I reckon, the guy i done the job for had taken over the restaurant and the gas cylinder just happened to be left lying there.... you would be surprised how many old pubs and restaurants are about with these cylinders just left there. They are rented cylinders but the contract just dies off when the business goes bankrupt so not worth the money and effort to recover them.

Cylinders for beverages contain different gasses depending on what they are dispensing. Some are straight up carbon dioxide, for dispensing things like coca cola and some are a combination of carbon dioxide and (I think) nitrogen. I think that's for beverages that are smoother or less fizz to it, like Guiness etc. The addition of nitrogen renders it no good for welding.

This was just me being lucky and most auto spares businesses now deal with companies like hobbyweld and unless you REALLY need the carbon/argon mix or argon for tig then straight co2 option is the best value for money.... that would be my option if I didn't get lucky with the cylinder I think the OP would be best looking in the local motor factors rather than the websites, they will be able to make it more clear

Thanks for all of the responses chaps.  Turns out you pat the deposit listed on the website and pay for the gas on top.  A 20 litre bottle is £110 deposit and £90 for the gas.  After that its just the £90 for the gas.

I do have a pub CO2 cylinder hitched up to my little brewery set up, but I thought I'd keep the two separate.

Thanks again - I've been teaching myself with flux core wire and I think I'm about ready to switch over to gas.