Oak Shepherd Crook and a few sticks

I haven’t completed a walking stick since September last year, when I made a banksia nut knob stick.

I have a few sticks constantly on the go and just pick them up and do a bit of work on them now and again.

The crook is a very nice stick to make and work on and I haven’t made one for a while, and cut the pattern out on a piece of oak I had.

It’s nothing fancy compared to some sticks I have made, but it feels very nice and well balanced.

I decided on the Boo (scarf) joint and had a piece of acrylic for the spacer.

I’m a little disappointed with the colour of the spacer, but it’s all about learning, what works and what doesn’t.

I also had a 2nd banksia nut left from last August and planned to use on a twisted hazel stick I cut last year.

I first came across a banksia nut walking stick, when Stimo22 posted a few pictures of his very nice walking sticks, and I always planned to try and make one.

They are very easy to turn, but very messy with the reddish fibres floating around in the air.

I always wear a dust mask and my next purchase will be a dust extractor for sure.

The knob stick had a few coats of Danish oil and quite pleased with my first twisted hazel stick.

IMG_3925.jpeg

IMG_3924.jpeg

IMG_3923.jpeg

IMG_3922.jpeg

IMG_3822.jpeg

IMG_3824.jpeg

IMG_3828.jpeg

IMG_3829.jpeg

IMG_3926.jpeg

IMG_3920.jpeg

IMG_3928.jpeg

Keith RW I was the same as you, until Stimo22 posted his sticks.

Stimo22, you will have to post a few pictures, when you complete them !

I have recently cut a few bundles of blackthorn sticks for next year, on a local farm I shoot on.

I have a few seasoned blackthorn sticks I cut last year, and plan to use on the next sticks I make.

I haven’t made a blackthorn stick before, and what finish is the best on the shank ?

IMG_3930.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...