Lofting Spreader Bars an Update.

Following on from Old Boggy's difficulties with the simple spreader bar and a few troubles I have had, I have modified mine.

I have added a third spigot and made up some caps to lock the decoys on to the bar.

20240323_082648.jpg

20240323_082912.jpg

20240323_082907.jpg

20240323_082928.jpg

Looking forward to the field trials , or should I say the wood trials with your revised lofting birds , how do Pigeons know what sex the decoys are when they all look the same ?, and don't say that time they find out it is to late :lol:

11 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Looking forward to the field trials , or should I say the wood trials with your revised lofting birds , how do Pigeons know what sex the decoys are when they all look the same ?, and don't say that time they find out it is to late :lol:

John, simple, SCENT, all done with the perfume the females wear.

Unfortunately the few gay WPs are now starting to wear the same scent..................:w00t:

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

Looking forward to the field trials , or should I say the wood trials with your revised lofting birds , how do Pigeons know what sex the decoys are when they all look the same ?, and don't say that time they find out it is to late 

simples...male pigeons, right hand thread, females have left hand. :whistling:

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Following on from Old Boggy's difficulties with the simple spreader bar and a few troubles I have had, I have modified mine.

I have added a third spigot and made up some caps to lock the decoys on to the bar.

20240323_082648.jpg

20240323_082912.jpg

20240323_082907.jpg

20240323_082928.jpg

The sitting position of your decoys is spot on.

Those ready made hook thingies they sell set the decoys too horizontal and not in a natural upright position.

OB

2 hours ago, old'un said:

simples...male pigeons, right hand thread, females have left hand.

I wasn't sure if you meant tread or thread , still , I suppose it all down to give and take at the end of the day , although I doubt if the Pigeons worry what time of the day it is as long as they get there Oats :hmm:

56 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I wasn't sure if you meant tread or thread , still , I suppose it all down to give and take at the end of the day , although I doubt if the Pigeons worry what time of the day it is as long as they get there Oats 

Thread as in the nut and bolt going through the decoys, never mind I will my coat. ;)

IMG_4081.JPG.1e95dbfcbe98542970c07c34ddca93ef.JPGIMG_4080.JPG.010ffe84345ab01107fe16c70640299d.JPGFollowing Dave`s update on the spreader bar for lofted pigeons, I have now adapted mine which now should prevent either of the decoys falling off whilst pushing up through the trees or when retrieving.

His idea of a fixing right through the decoy was the obvious way to go, but lacking his welding skills or access to welding equipment (he already was good enough to make me the `T` bar ready for mounting the decoys) I used 10mm threaded rod through each decoy with a nut on top and a long nut underneath. The long nut enabled a lock nut to lock the decoy into the required position securely without any chance of it turning whilst being hoisted. As hopefully can be seen in the photos, both nuts, top and bottom were epoxied in place which made for a sturdy fixing.

Currently, the `T` bar is held in place by a nut and bolt through the bottom of the spreader, but my `Mark 2` version is to use a brass connector (as photo) glued into the wooden peg which will be cut such that one part will be glued into the top pole and the other into the bottom of the spreader. This will then be a simple task of screwing the two parts together rather than fiddling with nuts and bolts. The brass connector I propose is that used in stickmaking and should arrive shortly.(as photo)IMG_4074.JPG.a4af72fb83bb6b893f6191e3af9b8c73.JPG

My initial plan was to try again in my little wood on Tuesday, but the forecast (Met office) now states that we will be getting rain from Tuesday onwards. The forecast is OK for tomorrow (Monday) so that`s when I`ll be having another go. The brisk wind SSW forecast is good for my wood so I`m looking forward to my few hours out when I`m sure I`ll be able to loft 2 decoys more successfully this time.

Those eagled-eyed amongst you may well notice that one decoy has a few pellet marks on it. This happened a few years ago when using them as lofters, I swung through an incoming pigeon and didn`t notice the decoy, which took quite a bit of the shot. What are the chances of shooting a static target with a moving gun? Not easy on purpose I wouldn`t have thought.:hmm:

OB

IMG_4082.JPG

17 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

The simple ideas are often the best.   :good:

The ideas have to be very simple for me to engage my brain cell:w00t:

Anyway, I will be testing the two lofters in the next few hours and hopefully all goes well and the pigeons oblige.

OB

1 hour ago, JKD said:

Lots of pigeons in his area at the moment 😁

Sadly not in my wood today. Put about 50 out on arrival but only a very few came back. Ended up with just 3. However the lofters behaved themselves and were a doddle to put up and take down.

Had a call from the wife after about an hour so had to leave earlier than expected.

315A37F4-70CD-47F2-B527-3AC29C588003.jpeg

At least you are out there trying 😃

Been driving past you on the dual carriageway [lots of rape nearby !] and have seen LOTS of woodies, all the way down to Ramsgate !

12 hours ago, Soma said:

Exciting times ahead with the field trials for your revised lofting birds! Pigeons likely determine the sex of decoys through behavior cues rather than visual differences. Nature's instincts often guide them accurately.

As long as they come within reach of an ounce of lead through 1/4 choke i will be more than happy.