Horners Auctioneers Acle Norfolk

Here is a little bit about the showroom.  

Horners Acle , Norfolk

They hold two "Guns at Noon"  auctions every year. You can bid online if you like but can turn up and wink or raise a finger if you prefer.

Here's the catalogue for 13th April 2024 

Sporting weapons and associated goods 

Auction Catalogue for April 2024

Good luck with your bids.

23 minutes ago, ditchman said:

lovely AYA 12 there ....be iteresting to see what that goes for........................

Some bargains to be had if you know what you are looking for , I bought my s x s from there about two years ago , T Wild and son , in superb condition , £190 plus fees , now it would sell for less than that , sign of the times .   MM

Posted (edited)
On 30/03/2024 at 20:06, ditchman said:

lovely AYA 12 there ....be iteresting to see what that goes for........................

Ditch , a very nice gun .  I thought the  side by side prices at the last auction were extremely low. I expect them to be the same this time round.

On 30/03/2024 at 20:34, marsh man said:

Some bargains to be had if you know what you are looking for , I bought my s x s from there about two years ago , T Wild and son , in superb condition , £190 plus fees , now it would sell for less than that , sign of the times .   MM

I've bought quite a few guns from there, including a 16 bore SxS by T Clough of Kings Lynn, I was born in King's Lynn so simply had to buy it. T Wild are very nice especially at the kind of price you paid ! Well done.       

Edited by Whitebridges

1 hour ago, Whitebridges said:

Ditch , a very nice gun .  I thought the  side by side prices at the last auction were extremely low. I expect them to be the same this time round.

I've bought quite a few guns from there, including a 16 bore SxS by T Clough of Kings Lynn, I was born in King's Lynn so simply had to buy it. T Wild are very nice especially at the kind of price you paid ! Well done.       

a couple of gunsmiths working for Wild are to have said went to ..work for Purdey........that is why there are similaraties between some Purdey's and some Wilds....

On 01/04/2024 at 11:57, ditchman said:

a couple of gunsmiths working for Wild are to have said went to ..work for Purdey........that is why there are similaraties between some Purdey's and some Wilds....

Interesting....thanks for that Ditchy :friends:  

Good to know, I have a 12 bore wildfowler with 3" chambers and waiting to collect a 16 bore 21/2" chambers both T Wild, the 12g weighs 7lb 10 oz and the 16g 6lb... I would like to buy more SXS but no space

42 minutes ago, Whitebridges said:

Interesting....thanks for that Ditchy :friends:  

23 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Good to know, I have a 12 bore wildfowler with 3" chambers and waiting to collect a 16 bore 21/2" chambers both T Wild, the 12g weighs 7lb 10 oz and the 16g 6lb... I would like to buy more SXS but no space

i was told that by Joe Wheater ..when i bought guns from in in Lincoln..........(toooo many years ago)

I have got a nice nitro proof T Wild hammer 12 bore that is surplus to requirements , any idea what they are worth nowadays ?

2 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I have got a nice nitro proof T Wild hammer 12 bore that is surplus to requirements , any idea what they are worth nowadays ?

how long is a piece of string......prices vary wildly (see what i did there)...i would hate to hazard a guess

2 minutes ago, ditchman said:

how long is a piece of string......prices vary wildly (see what i did there)...i would hate to hazard a guess

Cheers , might give Horners at Acle a ring tomorrow to see if they are still taking entries for the next sporting auction , if so I will take it up and see how it get on .   MM

22 hours ago, marsh man said:

Cheers , might give Horners at Acle a ring tomorrow to see if they are still taking entries for the next sporting auction , if so I will take it up and see how it get on .   MM

I tried to get a few late entries in marsh man, last week. I was told they were not taking anymore but are holding another "Guns at Noon in June, such is the demand.

On 03/04/2024 at 14:48, ditchman said:

i was told that by Joe Wheater ..when i bought guns from in in Lincoln..........(toooo many years ago)

I lived in Branston , just outside Lincoln in the mid eighties. He was a legend and a fantastic champion shot. Very well run business , always a pleasure to visit the gunshop.    

14 minutes ago, Whitebridges said:

I tried to get a few late entries in marsh man, last week. I was told they were not taking anymore but are holding another "Guns at Noon in June, such is the demand.

I lived in Branston , just outside Lincoln in the mid eighties. He was a legend and a fantastic champion shot. Very well run business , always a pleasure to visit the gunshop.    

i lived on the Sleaford road next to the common....when i was working for BP at the Welton oilfield....i was there about  83-84-85.....spent alot of time with Joe and alot of bloody money an all Hhhahhahahhahaa

2 hours ago, Whitebridges said:

Many THANKS for the update Whitebridges , funny enough I was going to ring them up today but with it being a sale day then I thought they might be busy , if they are having another one in June then I might put it on the forum before hand to see if anyone want a decent English hammer gun , I have also got a Black powder hammer gun made by the Midland Gun Company which they can have for free if they bought the T Wild hammer gun , as part of thinning my guns out I took my B S A s x s ej to the Yarmouth police station today to hand it in , it was still in sound condition but needed a back trigger spring , I offered it on the forum and no one wanted it f o c , sign of the times we are living in .   :good:           MM

On 04/04/2024 at 16:31, ditchman said:

i lived on the Sleaford road next to the common....when i was working for BP at the Welton oilfield....i was there about  83-84-85.....spent alot of time with Joe and alot of bloody money an all Hhhahhahahhahaa

Money! Spending it on guns etc. well worth it . 

On 04/04/2024 at 18:48, marsh man said:

Many THANKS for the update Whitebridges , funny enough I was going to ring them up today but with it being a sale day then I thought they might be busy , if they are having another one in June then I might put it on the forum before hand to see if anyone want a decent English hammer gun , I have also got a Black powder hammer gun made by the Midland Gun Company which they can have for free if they bought the T Wild hammer gun , as part of thinning my guns out I took my B S A s x s ej to the Yarmouth police station today to hand it in , it was still in sound condition but needed a back trigger spring , I offered it on the forum and no one wanted it f o c , sign of the times we are living in .   :good:           MM

My pleasure. Side by sides are so hard to even give away, i've no idea why this is the case but there you have it. A change in fashion probably. ATB marsh man.        

1 hour ago, Miserableolgit said:

I'm registered to bid, I will see how I feel in the morning as to whether I turn out or watch it online.

I have sat through a few sporting auctions in my time and I used to like the one at Kings Lynn ( Collings ) , it was like a good night out for me as I don't drink and you never knew what you were going to see amongst all clutter .

Horner's at Acle is fine , you can get a burger and a cuppa and you should be able to get a chair so you ain't standing for a few hours , I was told they get through around 100 items an hour but when I was waiting for my gun to come up they were a fair bit slower than that .

Good Luck if you go and take a loaded wallet , unless you are after a s x s then just take some loose change :lol:

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

I have sat through a few sporting auctions in my time and I used to like the one at Kings Lynn ( Collings ) , it was like a good night out for me as I don't drink and you never knew what you were going to see amongst all clutter .

Horner's at Acle is fine , you can get a burger and a cuppa and you should be able to get a chair so you ain't standing for a few hours , I was told they get through around 100 items an hour but when I was waiting for my gun to come up they were a fair bit slower than that .

Good Luck if you go and take a loaded wallet , unless you are after a s x s then just take some loose change :lol:

SWMBO and I buy regularly at auction but these days tend to do it from the comfort of home. We used to always attend in person and really enjoy being in the room although since becoming immune suppressed I avoid busy enclosed spaces. She had never been to an auction before she met me but soon became hooked on both buying and selling. She's off to some crafting thing in Norwich in the morning with our daughter so with regards Horner's I'll see how I feel and if it's a good day or bad day when I roll out of bed in the morning. Maybe a good time to snap up good quality s x s's but the way things are now it could be risky, still no risk no gain... 😉

3 minutes ago, Miserableolgit said:

During yesterday’s sale he announced that there would be an additional similar sale in June.

I've got an appointment with them tomorrow. Taking some stuff over there for the June auction as I need to thin out the cabinets. 

6 hours ago, Miserableolgit said:

During yesterday’s sale he announced that there would be an additional similar sale in June.

More importantly , did you buy anything exciting ??

Although it's good to know another sale is on the horizon :good:

3 hours ago, marsh man said:

Have you looked under hammer guns on guntrader there's a t wild for £500 and an army and navy  black powder for about £800

9 hours ago, Whitebridges said:

I've got an appointment with them tomorrow. Taking some stuff over there for the June auction as I need to thin out the cabinets. 

find out what the AYA sxs went for please

12 hours ago, islandgun said:

Have you looked under hammer guns on guntrader there's a t wild for £500 and an army and navy  black powder for about £800

Wow  , I am well out of touch , my T Wild hammer gun is in very nice condition and very tight ( a bit like me :lol: ) I was looking at around £200 and the Black powder hammer gun is a Midland Gun Co , that is nothing to write home about and the buyer of the T Wild can have it f o c if he or she want it , I don't use either of them and the guns left in my cabinet would easily see me out .      MM

Edited by marsh man

6 hours ago, marsh man said:

No, I bid on one or two but stick to my pre set limits otherwise it’s all to easy to keep going. As it turns out there were only one or two bids after I dropped out.