BUNNY BURGERS

roadkill

Mince about a kilo of rabbit meat and about 1/4 kilo of pork belly or _really_ streaky bacon (for the fat) and mix together with about 2 finely chopped onions that have been gently fried to a nice colour and then left to cool.

Add some herbs (I like corriander) and mix some more.

Then, seperate out onto greaseproof paper into burger sized shapes and whack on the barbie.

If you only have about 1/2 a kilo of rabbit, knock all the other ingredients down as well. Experimenting works too!

Wookie

• 2 weeks later...

Add a egg and bread crumbs (2 day old bread blitzed) to make the stay together add the bread crumbs until the mix is fairly hard :( :huh:

Put the mix in the fridge for a few hours to chill right down

Also if bbqing make them up just before with the chilled meat and place halve an ice cube in the middle :D :( keeps them moist :lol::lol:

• 1 year later...
Hi all,

I know this an old link but ,just a few questions from a

non cook.

how do you mince up the rabbit ?

and will the old tuff rabbits be alright in burgers once minced ?

regards wam

I bought an old mincer off ebay and it works wonders only cost me 2.99

I have used the recipe off here and the one bellow from the river cottage cook book both taste great

:lol:

1 medium onion , finely chopped

a little oil

1kg minced lean rabbit meat

250 g sausage meat or minced belly pork

a good sprig each of marjoram , thyme , sage and rosemary , all finely chopped

Gently cook the onion in the oil for a few minutes until softened, then leave to cool completely.

Mix the meats , chopped herbs and onion together thoroughly by hand. Then shape into quarterpounder patties - Ideally not more than 2cm thick , so they cook through fairly fast. Wrap in clingfilm and chill until ready to cock.

Cook the burgers on a barbecue or in a lightly oiled heavy frying pan for 3-4 minutes on each side.

Serve in a split bun with a choice of fresh tomato salsa , tomato ketchup or mustard mayonnaise

Try this:

I done a load of Bunny Burgers for one of the many BBQ's we all get together on, it was partly guess work but went something like this.

Lapin Hache d'Axe (Axe's Bunny Burger)

Ingredients

2 Rabbits

1lb Pork Belly

2 Large Onions

1 Large handful of chopped prunes

1 Tablespoon of paprika

2 Teaspoons of dried Rosemary

1 Large Handful of Suet

1 Large handful of bread crumbs

Salt & Pepper

Method

Finely chop and gently fry the onions until golden brown. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Fillet and mince the rabbits along with the pork belly. Add the cooled onions, prunes, paprika, rosemary, suet, salt, pepper and mix well, adding the breadcrumbs a little at a time to get the right consistency. If the mix is too dry add a little olive oil, if the mix is too wet add more breadcrumbs.

Taking a handful of the mixture gently pat round and flatten to create a 3/4 thick burger about 4 inches in diameter. This should make roughly 16-18 burgers. Leave in the fridge to set a little then cook on the BBQ or grill as you would any ordinary thick burger.

Place cooked burger in a bap or burger bun topped with the usual accompliments, add a sprinkling of friends and a good jug of Harveys Best real ale and savour the moment as you shout cheers and bite into the burger.

A few more ideas I am going to try next time:

Mexican Bunny Burger:

Replace the prunes with kidney beans and add a 1-2 teaspoons of chilli powder or cayenne pepper.

Indian Bunny Burger:

Replace the prunes and paprika with chick peas and garam masala and add 2 teaspoons of cumin, 1 teaspoon of turmeric, 1inch of grated ginger, 2 cloves of grated garlic

All this is making me hungry, anyone fancy a BBQ?

Regards,

Axe. :lol:

Peejay, should be safe to freeze if the ingredients are mixed when cold. I.e. if you use cooked onions, make sure they are cold before they get mixed with the meat.

why not make them up and buy a box of Birds Eye 1/4 lbers' steam open the box and replace them with rabbit burgers and see if they like em. :D

Axe.