Peg dog

Iam looking for a good peg dog that will retrieve fur & feather. Also good in the house , not over hippo and easy to train. 

Not a big dog like a lab, as I want it to be able to sit in a van with me whilst in work ( if possible)

am I asking too much 🧐

anybody had first hand experience with a breed that meets these requirements.?

Spaniels traditionally want to be on the move, hunting and flushing before retrieving. 

Some people do train them up to sit on a peg, but if I was looking for a peg dog … sometimes called a non slip retriever … then I would be looking hard at the Labrador or other retriever breeds. 

Horses for courses and all that. 

I find Lab’s easer to train and there are smaller breeds of lab out there, I have had a number of dogs over the years, mostly spaniels, never found them hard to train to-be steady at the peg or in the hide, all down to breeding and most importantly training, although I did have one spaniel that was a bid of a headcase, me and him were always falling out.

Not a big dog like a lab? My labs not really any bigger than a decent sized springer spaniel. You do get some really petite ones sometimes. Some breed lines breed a bigger heavier dog where others may be a bit on the smaller, leaner side.

On 12/04/2024 at 11:06, Lloyd90 said:

Spaniels traditionally want to be on the move, hunting and flushing before retrieving. 

Some people do train them up to sit on a peg, but if I was looking for a peg dog … sometimes called a non slip retriever … then I would be looking hard at the Labrador or other retriever breeds. 

Horses for courses and all that. 

As above.