MTC Copperhead F2 scope

A friend of mine has just received the above scope (4-16x44) and I was well impressed with the quality. Compact, yet excellent in all areas. I was also impressed with the offer that if you register the warranty online, you get a lifetime one which is for the original purchaser. 

On 19/05/2024 at 09:17, steve_b_wales said:

Having had a 'good look' at, and through my mates scope, I have also just purchased one. Not sure what rifle I will fit it on as yet. 

My mates also just bought one. I am going to take a look at them and may buy one myself :) 

Let me know how you get on with it! 

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

My mates also just bought one. I am going to take a look at them and may buy one myself :) 

Let me know how you get on with it! 

I've only just fitted it to the rifle. Hopefully, I can pop up the farm on Thursday and sight it in properly. 

7 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

To be honest, it's probably too good for an air rifle. I would go down the road of Hawke/Nikko Sterling makes. 

My eyes aren’t what they used to be sadly, am using a Nikko sterling, want better glass and some more magnification.

6 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

My eyes aren’t what they used to be sadly, am using a Nikko sterling, want better glass and some more magnification.

I once looked through an MTC Mamba. One look was enough. I won’t be buying one.

23 hours ago, London Best said:

I once looked through an MTC Mamba. One look was enough. I won’t be buying one.

They do vary as do peoples eyes and not everyone can afford a top end scope.

I know a very good target shooter who exclusively uses MTC. I tried them and, like you, decided they don't suit me.

Strokes for folks

On 22/05/2024 at 08:46, Lloyd90 said:

Have a look through a Leupold if you get the chance. Second hand they're very good glass for the money. I had to move one on because it was too good for what I wanted it for.

40 minutes ago, Mr.C said:

They do vary as do peoples eyes and not everyone can afford a top end scope.

I know a very good target shooter who exclusively uses MTC. I tried them and, like you, decided they don't suit me.

Strokes for folks

Have a look through a Leupold if you get the chance. Second hand they're very good glass for the money. I had to move one on because it was too good for what I wanted it for.

I’m also interested in the dial able turrets. For an air rifle if I work out the drop at 10,20,30,40,50 yards etc, and have the numbers noted, I reckon I could then dial on the scope …

Worth a go :)  

4 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I’m also interested in the dial able turrets. For an air rifle if I work out the drop at 10,20,30,40,50 yards etc, and have the numbers noted, I reckon I could then dial on the scope …

Worth a go   

Well, I took the rifle/scope up the farm this morning, and tried to get on target at approx 20 yards. My mate and I could not see where the bullets were striking, so I fired a few into a big pile of manure. It was firing way too high. I adjusted the scope but came to the end of the adjustment range, and it was still too high. I might have to shim the rear mount. I will check it over again soon.

8 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Worth a go   

No need, just make a note of your aim points. Do a little drawing of the ret if you like noting to position of your yardages. Much quicker than fiddling around with turrets. After a while you won't even need the cheat sheet. 

1 hour ago, Mr.C said:

No need, just make a note of your aim points. Do a little drawing of the ret if you like noting to position of your yardages. Much quicker than fiddling around with turrets. After a while you won't even need the cheat sheet. 

:good: You'd need something well into 4 figures to guarantee repeatability.

@Lloyd90 Regardless of the cost of the scope set your zero and then leave the knobs alone. I'd no more adjust hight than fiddle with the windage. Big tactical turrets can catch on a drag bag, something else to consider. 

17 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

I have to say that I never adjust the reticule when shooting at various distances, even on those that you can return to zero. 

Any reason you bought this scope then compared to one with capped turrets? 

My mate has bought one and dropped it round mine as he wants me to setup his new air rifle for him. 

First impressions, scope looks nice, very compact for a 4-16x zoom… not a lot of tube for scope ring mounting… I am hoping that the eye relief won’t be an issue! 

7 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Any reason you bought this scope then compared to one with capped turrets? 

My mate has bought one and dropped it round mine as he wants me to setup his new air rifle for him. 

First impressions, scope looks nice, very compact for a 4-16x zoom… not a lot of tube for scope ring mounting… I am hoping that the eye relief won’t be an issue! 

I bought it because of it's compact size, which is better suited for my rifle. I agree about the tube/scope mounting, there's very little allowance. Luckily for me, it was okay. 

Posted (edited)
On 23/05/2024 at 13:30, steve_b_wales said:

Well, I took the rifle/scope up the farm this morning, and tried to get on target at approx 20 yards. My mate and I could not see where the bullets were striking, so I fired a few into a big pile of manure. It was firing way too high. I adjusted the scope but came to the end of the adjustment range, and it was still too high. I might have to shim the rear mount. I will check it over again soon.

UPDATE: Before I try and zero the scope again, I have a set of adjustable scope mounts on it. I was wondering if I raised the back one, one 'notch' and leave the front one at it's lowest setting, would this make a difference? The 'notches' are approx' one mm. 

Edited by steve_b_wales

8 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

I bought it because of it's compact size, which is better suited for my rifle. I agree about the tube/scope mounting, there's very little allowance. Luckily for me, it was okay. 

First impressions of the scope, very nice!