Gutfiller

On 20/05/2024 at 17:09, JohnfromUK said:

Having tried two air fryers, you are quite right, the biggest cheapest and simplest I can find - which I now have.  It's called my normal fan oven.

Agreed if you are cooking something like a whole roast dinner, but you will not beat the speed of an Air Fryer for most meals - part baked bread takes 9 minutes at 180 C - your oven will take that just to come up to temp, Tandoori chicken breasts 20 mins for 4 again at 180 C.

15 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Agreed if you are cooking something like a whole roast dinner, but you will not beat the speed of an Air Fryer for most meals - part baked bread takes 9 minutes at 180 C - your oven will take that just to come up to temp, Tandoori chicken breasts 20 mins for 4 again at 180 C.

The (full size) oven is a fan oven in a 'range' cooker and comes up to temperature quite quickly.  Not timed it to 180, but at a guess around 5 minutes.  Directly above it is a plate warming compartment gthat uses the same heat, and I do like hot plates with hot food.  The oven element is 2.5 KW, and is well insulated being A energy rated very little heat escapes into the room), whereas my (Philips) air fryer is 2 KW.  The main oven works really well and the whole cooker is under a fanned hood that vents to the outside, so cooking smells are minimal.  The oven sides, roof, and back largely 'self clean' when heated right up and I use a liner in the base that I replace every few months.  I will admit that you could buy a LOT of air fryers for the cost of the whole cooker unit, but I need a cooker.

As I say, I have had two air fryers. 

The first was a Tefal Actifry which uses a paddle to stir the food around.  It made lovely chips (really lovely), but the way it worked (the rotating paddle) wasn't good at other things.  It was a bit of a pain to clean and the rather elaborate lid eventually cracked.  I didn't get another as they were quite expensive then and for chips only about once or twice a month it was rather a 'luxury' item that just took up space.

The Tefal Actifry was replaced by a Philips Air Fryer (which was a well reviewed model at the time) on the basis that it could do more, which it can ........ but it has a problem in that the cooking oil 'mist' tends to get on the element and it smokes unless the element is completely cleaned.  It can only go under the cooker hood by sitting on the hob, which restricts the hob usage.  Cleaning the unit basket was solved by using a silicone liner (more cost) but cleaning the element and it's area in the lid takes ages as the cover is hard to remove.

Overall - it just doesn't work out for me, the upsides of slightly lower running cost and quicker operation are not worth the downsides of not warming plates, smell (unless used on the hob under the hood) where it can't be left out, difficulty cleaning and need to put away and store.

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

The (full size) oven is a fan oven in a 'range' cooker and comes up to temperature quite quickly.  Not timed it to 180, but at a guess around 5 minutes.  Directly above it is a plate warming compartment gthat uses the same heat, and I do like hot plates with hot food.  The oven element is 2.5 KW, and is well insulated being A energy rated very little heat escapes into the room), whereas my (Philips) air fryer is 2 KW.  The main oven works really well and the whole cooker is under a fanned hood that vents to the outside, so cooking smells are minimal.  The oven sides, roof, and back largely 'self clean' when heated right up and I use a liner in the base that I replace every few months.  I will admit that you could buy a LOT of air fryers for the cost of the whole cooker unit, but I need a cooker.

As I say, I have had two air fryers. 

The first was a Tefal Actifry which uses a paddle to stir the food around.  It made lovely chips (really lovely), but the way it worked (the rotating paddle) wasn't good at other things.  It was a bit of a pain to clean and the rather elaborate lid eventually cracked.  I didn't get another as they were quite expensive then and for chips only about once or twice a month it was rather a 'luxury' item that just took up space.

The Tefal Actifry was replaced by a Philips Air Fryer (which was a well reviewed model at the time) on the basis that it could do more, which it can ........ but it has a problem in that the cooking oil 'mist' tends to get on the element and it smokes unless the element is completely cleaned.  It can only go under the cooker hood by sitting on the hob, which restricts the hob usage.  Cleaning the unit basket was solved by using a silicone liner (more cost) but cleaning the element and it's area in the lid takes ages as the cover is hard to remove.

Overall - it just doesn't work out for me, the upsides of slightly lower running cost and quicker operation are not worth the downsides of not warming plates, smell (unless used on the hob under the hood) where it can't be left out, difficulty cleaning and need to put away and store.

The Actifry was a very early attempt and not really relevant anymore, we also have a range cooker with a 2.2KW oven but it is rarely used now, not sure where you are getting your smell from your Air Fryer - ours puts out nothing but warm air. Anything needing oil gets a puff of oil spray, anything likely to get dry (chicken breast sometimes) and I put maybe an eggcup full of boiling water in the bottom of the fryer that then streams the meat as it cooks. Cleaning? ours goes in the dishwasher.

It is quite hard to show, but the element is above the pull out drawer containing the basket.  The element lower side keeps clean, but the cooking 'mist' blown around by the fan accumulates above the element and gets on the top side of the element.  Next time it's used, it smokes the room out.  This part can't go in the dishwasher (only the drawer/tray and basket can.  The drawer and basket can - but they take up so much room that I bought a silicone liner/basket which does make it a lot easier. 

Maybe it's just me - but if you add the extra cleaning and getting out/putting away - it is just easier to use the main oven with the free bonus of the plate warmer..  My overall electricity consumption (including a big fridge/freezer and second freezer and 'larder fridge') is under 10 KWhr a day, and only a small part of that will be the oven as it is about 2 KWhr less on days I don't oven cook.

2F3687AC-39C7-4406-A206-6F993478BE0D_1_102_o.jpeg

6 hours ago, JKD said:

There's already a thread going in this section about these 'new fandangled air frying machines' 🙄🤦😇🤣

Apologies.  Diversion grew out of comments earlier in this thread.

10 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

It is quite hard to show, but the element is above the pull out drawer containing the basket.  The element lower side keeps clean, but the cooking 'mist' blown around by the fan accumulates above the element and gets on the top side of the element.  Next time it's used, it smokes the room out.  This part can't go in the dishwasher (only the drawer/tray and basket can.  The drawer and basket can - but they take up so much room that I bought a silicone liner/basket which does make it a lot easier. 

Maybe it's just me - but if you add the extra cleaning and getting out/putting away - it is just easier to use the main oven with the free bonus of the plate warmer..  My overall electricity consumption (including a big fridge/freezer and second freezer and 'larder fridge') is under 10 KWhr a day, and only a small part of that will be the oven as it is about 2 KWhr less on days I don't oven cook.

2F3687AC-39C7-4406-A206-6F993478BE0D_1_102_o.jpeg

All I can say is that ours does not smoke at all.

Slightly different 'gutfiller' for a cold windy day (here);

M&S beef and pork meat loaf with tomato sauce (flash sale - 40% off - item at Ocado), roast crushed new potatoes with garlic and chilli, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, celery - and loads of onion gravy!

15987122-3690-4B93-8B6F-A6F2F9EFB898_1_201_a.jpeg

Just now, ditchman said:

that is a joy to behold

The meat loaf was M&S, and was quite good (in my opinion), the potatoes were boiled until 'done', then crushed onto a paking parchment on a tray and roast with 'M&S chilli and garlic olive oil'.  The veggies were just boiled.  Gravy was made with the water from the veggies with 50/50 mix of Bisto onion and Osem onion 'powders'.

All a bit lazy and not very genuine 'cooking' I admit, but warming (chilli) and very nice on a cool evening.

2 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

The meat loaf was M&S, and was quite good (in my opinion), the potatoes were boiled until 'done', then crushed onto a paking parchment on a tray and roast with 'M&S chilli and garlic olive oil'.  The veggies were just boiled.  Gravy was made with the water from the veggies with 50/50 mix of Bisto onion and Osem onion 'powders'.

All a bit lazy and not very genuine 'cooking' I admit, but warming (chilli) and very nice on a cool evening.

it just looks so nice...........:good: